• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Lunch in London (near to Mayfair)

Ok, I'm taking a client out for lunch tomorrow at 2.30pm (only time he can make it) but am totally out of ideas for where we can go for some good food that is relatively close to Mayfair and that serves lunch at 2.30pm. Thoughts?

Thanks!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Ok, I'm taking a client out for lunch tomorrow at 2.30pm (only time he can make it) but am totally out of ideas for where we can go for some good food that is relatively close to Mayfair and that serves lunch at 2.30pm.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Such a late time sounds Mediterranean, so...

...if you are punctual you may be just in time to sample Marco Torri's cuisine at Semplice in Blenheim Street.

A bit further North in Berners Street, Latium has (in my opinion) the best Italian chef in London (Maurizio Morelli) and opens till 3.00

m.

Ok, I'm taking a client out for lunch tomorrow at 2.30pm (only time he can make it) but am totally out of ideas for where we can go for some good food that is relatively close to Mayfair and that serves lunch at 2.30pm.  Thoughts?

Tomoe is just off Oxford Street and is open until 3pm. No website, but my writeup is here.

Thanks for all these recommendations. Ended up going to Brown's Grill (or the Albemarle as I believe it has been re-named since Hix took on his consultancy role).

Overall the menu reads well, although service was very sloppy and slow, we weren't given a wine list until we requested one on ordering our starters and even then they managed to bring the wrong wine 3 times. They managed to forget to give us cutlery until we requested it and when it came to the main course they gave us completely wrong cutlery for what we ordered.

I started with treacle cured salmon with pickled cucumber and fennel which was pleasant enough, albeit somewhat under seasoned. With only 3 tiny slices of the salmon however, the £12.75 price tag was rather high for what I received. My client went for pan fried Burford brown egg with baby squid and black pudding, a much better choice especially for £8.75!

For mains my companion went for Rabbit cooked in cider which came in a very tasty creamy mustard and cider sauce. As there were no accompaniments with the dish he also ordered chips, purple sprouting broccoli and carrots cooked with chervil which added £12 to the dish (Which itself was around £18)

I opted for a rib of beef on the bone which again was a perfectly acceptable piece of meet - albeit a tad cold and at £28.50 without any accompaniments felt a rather expensive. Again to supplement this I ordered chips (which were soggy and flaccid) and purple sprouting broccoli, taking the dish up to a whopping £40!!

All in all, I don't think I will be returning any time soon. The food, whilst not bad, was not good either, with dishes tending to be rather tepid and under seasoned, sloppy service, and all rather over-priced.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?