• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sesame Oil Recommendations

maxmillan

I'm looking for a really good quality, tasty, expeller pressed sesame oil. I've bought various brands in the past (generally ones made in China.)

I like the deep complex flavor of a well produced brand and the variety of Japanese sesame oil at my favorite store is very confusing.

Can someone suggest a brand? I know there are sesame oils made in Singapore, Taiwan, etc. so I don't mind brands from there.

I'm in Canada so, hopefully, I can find your suggestions here.

I'm looking for sesame oil for its health benefit as well so if someone can suggest an organic brand that would be a bonus. Also, I understand that if the seeds are cold pressed the nutritional value is maintained.

I would recommend taking a look at Korean brands in addition to Japanese brands. We usually buy the highest quality Kadoya, but haven't done any extensive comparisons. The Kadoya oil is more than fragrant enough for our purposes.

The Korean brands can be bought at Hanareum, while Kadoya can be purchased pretty much anywhere such as T&T.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I should also add that we use Kadoya primarily as a finishing oil, much as you would a better grade of extra virgin olive oil. A cheaper grade of sesame oil would probably be fine for use as a cooking oil. So you might opt to use two grades of sesame oil.

Edited by sanrensho (log)

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend gave me a sample of Kadoya sesame oil and it smells absolutely heavenly. It was in a paper cup covered with plastic but the smell spread throughout my kitchen.

I usually use it as a finishing oil (on top of my noodles or rice.) I would never cook with sesame oil as I try to maintain the flavor.

I don't know what brand of Kadoya he got me but it's very very dark. What should I look for if I want a top quality Kadoya sesame oil?

Kadoya is the brand. As far as I know, Kadoya markets only one grade of sesame oil -- at least in the West. Get the one labeled "pure sesame oil." Here's a link (with photo) on Amazon.com.

Kadoya also makes a "hot sesame oil" version that contains chiles.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Kadoya is the brand.  As far as I know, Kadoya markets only one grade of sesame oil -- at least in the West. Get the one labeled "pure sesame oil."

Kadoya has at least two grades if you buy them in the large tins. I've seen them side-by-side and have bought both at various times.

Kadoya is the brand.  As far as I know, Kadoya markets only one grade of sesame oil -- at least in the West. Get the one labeled "pure sesame oil."

Kadoya has at least two grades if you buy them in the large tins. I've seen them side-by-side and have bought both at various times.

Ah! I don't use it in that kind of quantity! :cool:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs