• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Philly Tap Room

serpentine

Anyone sampled the menu under the new chef? I've heard decidedly, uh, mixed reviews.

I had the boar burger (with boar bacon), it was pretty good but by the time I was halfway done I had had enough pig for the evening. The fries, which are pretty important to a burger-based meal, were definitely available in your grocer's freezer. I actually think better fries would have allowed me to finish the burger: I stopped eating the fries because they sucked, and therefore I didn't have anything to break up the unrelenting onslaught of strong pig flavor in the burger. The churros were much better than I was expecting. When I was there they were serving bear meat in a dish or two, someone else there had a bear salad and didn't seem thrilled by it. I don't see any bear on the menu that's on their website right now.

Their beer selection is really great, and inexpensive! They're charging less for the same quality of beers than similar places mere blocks away. They're actually doing something tomorrow (Thursday May 1) that illustrates this point: they're going to have ten beers from Bell's on draft for $3 each.

I'd say as far as the food goes, it's better than 1601, the POPE, and the Cantina on my most recent visit , but not as good as many of my past visits to the Cantina.

10 BEERS ON TAP FROM BELL'S?!?!?!?!

Jesus Christmas, that's an unbelievable event! I dont even think you can get 10 beers on tap at Bell's brewpub in Kalamzoo!

RUN, do not walk to this event!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

10 BEERS ON TAP FROM BELL'S?!?!?!?!

Jesus Christmas, that's an unbelievable event!  I dont even think you can get 10 beers on tap at Bell's brewpub in Kalamzoo!

RUN, do not walk to this event!

Found it on foobooz:

http://foobooz.com/2008/04/bells-at-sptr/

I couldn't believe it either, the logistics of swapping ten kegs in for one night seems like a problem, unless they just plan to offer those ten drafts until they're kicked. I guess there's only one way to find out, though..