• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jazz Fest '08

kendix

This is my first Jazz Fest and I'll probably be at the Fairgrounds a good amount but will be doing some late night stuff as well.

Are there any food-centered events outside of the Fairgrounds?

I ate at August and Jacques-Imo's in the fall, my first trip to nola.

I'm kindof on a budget this trip but what places will give me the best bang for the buck?

Also, I thought I'd just throw this out there since I'm trying just about every place else.....does anyone have access to Meters tickets at Howlin' Wolf?

Having just returned from the first weekend, I'd have to say that absolutely the best bang for your food buck is at the Festival itself. You probably know that already, but I had to say it just in case, and because this is your first festival. My own tasting was limited this year by the torrential rains, and by my decision to actually focus on the music for a change, but still...Not to be missed, by our lights: The cochon de lait po' boy; soft-shell crab po-boy (go early and get one that's huge and still hot from the fryer); the pheasant/andouille gumbo; and the trout Baquet, which is buttery and topped with a big spoonful of crabmeat. I also tried a soft-shelled crawfish po'boy that in any other situation would fall into my not-to-be-missed list. And the oysters in the Grandstand: huge and fresh and a great way to start your day. Unless you'd rather start with the frozen cafe au lait. These aren't little samples--they're restaurant portions for $5 to $10 each. Brings lotsa cash. And have a fantastic time! I envy you. The music for this coming weekend looks amazing.