• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not on the menu....

Teri Everitt

So what little treats or snacks do you make at work that aren't available to the customers?

At my work it's iced coffee (not that we wouldn't make it for customers if it was practical, but it isn't), occasional pizza staff lunches and for myself the occasional "Wendy" sandwich, named for the co-worker who invented it....cream cheese and fried egg. It's not as gross as it sounds, really!

The chefs that work in the back are always snacking on PB and J as well.

So what treats are off-limits to the customers at your work?

If only I'd worn looser pants....

this is way old school, but when i was in high school and worked at mcdonalds we used to make all kinds of things...my favorite was the filet-o-fish with ketchup, lettuce, cheese and onions instead of tartar sauce and on a toasted bun (it was normally served steamed).

When I worked in a deli, some of our staff creations actually made it on the menu. Most notably, my co-worker's veggie sub. She brought sprouts from home, then loaded on the provolone, shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, roasted peppers, hot cherry peppers, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar. It was a delicious sloppy mess. Sometimes she mixed it up with thin sliced sharp cheddar, and once horseradish cheese (!!).

My own contribution to the menu was one of the many ways I would defile an innocent toasted onion bagel. Onion bagel, toasted with our decidedly awesome house made tuna salad, tomatoes, raw onion, hot peppers, and a splash of vinegar. Mmm. I might make myself one of those tomorrow for lunch. I also used to have bagels with PB&J.

You can only eat so many sandwiches, working in a deli. We got one free meal a day, so we made them creative. Hot open roast beef subs with cheddar and gravy, pizzas made on sub bread with salami, ham, pepperoni, and 4 kinds of cheese, chili dogs, ghetto Italian hot dogs, I could go on and on...come to think of it, if WE ran the menu and specials every day, things would be a lot different now, I think.

Burger King in the early 80's orange drink from the fountain with separate water/syrup switches.....

Creamsicle Milkshakes...I still dream about them

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My favorite thing that I dine on is avocado topped with goat cheese, a smmmalllll dash of salt, and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Soooo good. I got most of the wait staff addicted to them as well.

New recent creations are deep fried artichoke hearts (canned, but they work better for this because the brine plays well). I should note that this NEEDS marinara sauce for dipping. It completes it.

Also I like to get goat cheese (I just love the stuff), fresh basil, and a tiny pinch of salt and batter and fry it. Let it cool just a bit so it's gooey but not molten. They pack a huge punch so make them small.

By far the best thing though is the pizza guys Thai Chicken Pizza. It is hands down the best pizza I have had. It's a peanut sauce base, with the usual cheese, grilled chicken, red pepper (roasted would probably make it better, but he uses raw and it's still yum), and carrots that are run through a zester to make super thin juliennes. It's just so good. We use it as a special all the time, and it will hopefully eventually get on the next print of the menu.

Edited by KevinS (log)

When I worked in the Bread Bar at Tabla, I'd often finish my shift with a Naan pizza. Rosemary naan, toasted first in the oven- it worked better if toasted and then topped, then toasted again.

A dollop of tomato kalonji, some slices of potato (went great with the rosemary), scallions, red onions, and green chilies. Sometimes with goat cheese. Drizzled with olive oil.

The challenge was always to make something new and delicious, as well as fast and filling, with the same old mise en place you're left with at the end of the day. I also made a lot of fried rice.

Sometimes I'd make something for the bartenders. One guy once said, "I love it when you guys whip up something that's better than anything on the menu."

These days, where I work we eat a lot of simple sandwiches with whatever leftovers are in the pots, slathered with house-made spicy mayo. Probably the grossest thing I ever made was a brisket-fat sandwich, but it tasted really good.

• 4 weeks later...

I like to make special iced coffee for the kitchen staff: espresso, a small dollop of sweetened condensed milk, a splash of regular milk, and a little ginger syrup pilfered from the pastry chef. Everyone loves this.

The other day the sous chef made homemade pop tarts out of blueberries and raspberries and some tart dough. He even made a glaze. They were damn tasty!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

• 1 month later...

i worked with a couple of guy from trinidad unfortunately they couldn't cook for shit so i never got to eat any good caribbean food, however they did bring in some really good hot sauces, they were alwalys extremely hot but full of flavor, they were amazing to cook with, they also frequently brought in rums and drinks from trinidad.

I have two that I remember well.

When I worked in a Baskins Robbins ice cream that ike Tracey had the soda machine you could seperate the syurp from the carbinatin made root beer milk shakes

Second I waited tables in a chain seafood restuarnt and the one perc is once a week one of the hispanic cooks would make this mexican crab and fish soup that was to die for. I still dont know how he talked the manager in to letting him use the crab legs in it but is was by far the best thing that place served and the custemers never got a drop.

Edited by jonnyCinco (log)

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes