• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Bread

On a recent visit to Toronto I had for the first time Italian bread and it was the best bread I have ever tasted.

I would love the recipe for this bread or does it use ingredients only obtained commercially?

Any information on this would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

norm

prasantrin is right! Bread labelled "Italian" in the Toronto region can range from stuff that is barely better then supermarket sandwich bread to some superbly flavoured breads. Tell us more.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

prasantrin is right!  Bread labelled "Italian" in the Toronto region can range from stuff that is barely better then supermarket sandwich bread to some superbly flavoured breads.  Tell us more.

The outside was hard and crusty, inside was chewy and in a long roll shape.

I bought it from a small Italian bakery in the Italian district off St.Claire.

Thanks

Norm

Possibly the bakery was using an extra-good flour with some malted barley in it. But I bet the secret was really the method, not the ingredients. Have you tried to bake artisanal breads like the Italian bread you tried? The Italian bread in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice cookbook starts with a prefermented dough or biga, & that's what gives the bread a great flavor. His recipe has an optional ingredient of barley malt powder, also. The other ingredients are bread flour, water, dry yeast, salt, a little oil. No special ingredients here.

I can recommend Reinhart's book, that's the one I use.

Edited by djyee100 (log)