• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
-sheila mooney

fresh chickens from chinatown

hello--

i was eyeing the whole chickens in a chinatown supermarket yesterday (the biggest one on st laurent, on west side of street). they sure look fresh -- judging by their heads and their little feets! but do they taste good? i started to reach for one, then hesitated. what say ye? thanks for feedback...

-sheila

Rarely have I had problems buying meat in chinatown especially if you reach for something with a huge turnover like chicken or pork. There store you mention has a lot of traffic I think it's a good bet , as for taste it's hard to say you can always fall on a good or bad bird. I say give it a try there is little to lose. I usually buy chicken carcasses, legs and feet from Chinatown ( or Kim Phat but all these places have the same suppliers) to make stock and soup and they are always tasty.

Franck

http://directionsinfood.blogspot.com/

They're not just chickens. They're Lilydale.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

mmmm inject-a-bird, maybe buy local chickens from the butcher, like Ferme D'amour instead of Lilydale, support local farmers first

mmmm inject-a-bird, maybe buy local chickens from the butcher, like Ferme D'amour instead of Lilydale, support local farmers first

What if I LIKE Lilydale?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

it's NOT JUST chicken ribo, it's lilydale....mmmm

i'll stick to my ferme D'amours

Edited by cookatlarge (log)

it's NOT JUST chicken ribo, it's lilydale....mmmm

i'll stick to my ferme D'amours

I'll give the Farm of Loves a try, and I'll get back to you. Where can I get them?

they gots them atwater market

this is funny -- i usually buy ferme d'amours (which i like OK) at my local IGA (igaaahhh). i was attracted to the Chinatown chicks because they are whole and entire, from comb to claw, which is why i posted the original question. since they are "intègres" i thought they might be better -- but i hesitated because their price is so low, i assumed they must be battery raised, and therefore no better (indeed, less good) than the ferme d'amours supermarket chickens.

at the atwater market i go for the pricey organic chickens as an occasional treat. i would not be excited to find the same birds as those i see in the supermarket.

so where is the best place to buy a great free-range chicken, anyway?

Sign in to follow this