• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish & Chips or other ideas

We are heading down to Padstow (from Bath) for May Day and wanted to stop enroute for food as we fear we will arive to late to eat (and Margot's is full - so not worth rushing).

Any good places enroute for some quick food - fish and chips would be ideal....?

Thanks,

Phil

What time are you leaving Bath? Its not that far surely? Anyway on the whole I find Devon and Cornwall to be extremely poor if your looking for good food. Something akin to Croydon spread over two coutnies. Sure you have the odd discrepancy such as Nathan Outlaw and Padstein and Oliver but beyond that it is shockingly poor in terms of culinary achievement considering the access they should have to good ingredients.

Right, I'm off to put my crash helmet and body armour on......

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

The Fish Shed at Darts Farm - only two miles off the M5 motorway exit Exeter Services (about 1 hour 45 minutes from Padstow - and about the same from Bath) - for probably as good fish and chips as you will find anywhere. Fisherman David Kerley brings in fish straight off the boats at Exmouth, has a wet fish counter, and fries or grills any fish you like to order. Battered diver's scallops are to die for. Local sea bass is good grilled, but even better batter-fried - incredibly meltingly sweet (David makes a very light beer batter). You can eat outside in the courtyard, inside in Darts Farm, or in your car if you only want to make a quick pit-stop. Definitely worth a detour - in fact a destination in itself. For an even better treat, pick up your fish and chips from the Fish Shed, then continue down the same road no more than a half mile to The Bridge Inn, an historic pub (the only pub the Queen has ever visited) serving outstanding cask ales. Sit outside with your fish and chips by the banks of the Clyst together with a pint of light Branoc ale from the Branscombe Brewery. Hard to beat that...

For food lovers, Darts Farm is an incredible one-stop food emporium that deserves to be visited.

To reach Darts Farm and the Fish Shed, exit M5 south at Exeter Services - turn left from slip road, then right at next roundabout signposted Exmouth, carry on through mini-roundabout to another roundabout - by St George and the Dragon pub - turn right, Darts Farm is just down the hill on the right. The Bridge Inn is a half mile further down the same road.

Marc

The Fish Shed at Darts Farm - only two miles off the M5 motorway exit Exeter Services (about 1 hour 45 minutes from Padstow - and about the same from Bath) - for probably as good fish and chips as you will find anywhere. Fisherman David Kerley brings in fish straight off the boats at Exmouth, has a wet fish counter, and fries or grills any fish you like to order. Battered diver's scallops are to die for. Local sea bass is good grilled, but even better batter-fried - incredibly meltingly sweet (David makes a very light beer batter). You can eat outside in the courtyard, inside in Darts Farm, or in your car if you only want to make a quick pit-stop. Definitely worth a detour - in fact a destination in itself. For an even better treat, pick up your fish and chips from the Fish Shed, then continue down the same road no more than a half mile to The Bridge Inn, an historic pub (the only pub the Queen has ever visited) serving outstanding cask ales. Sit outside with your fish and chips by the banks of the Clyst together with a pint of light Branoc ale from the Branscombe Brewery. Hard to beat that...

For food lovers, Darts Farm is an incredible one-stop food emporium that deserves to be visited.

To reach Darts Farm and the Fish Shed, exit M5 south at Exeter Services - turn left from slip road, then right at next roundabout signposted Exmouth, carry on through mini-roundabout to another roundabout - by St George and the Dragon pub - turn right, Darts Farm is just down the hill on the right. The Bridge Inn is a half mile further down the same road.

Marc

This sounds really good - thanks.

The Fish Shed at Darts Farm - only two miles off the M5 motorway exit Exeter Services at Exeter Services

Marc - thanks for the recommendation. The fish was very good, spanking fresh haddock in extremely crispy batter (some of the best I have had) and great grilled scallops. The only weakness seemed to be the chips which were not great - bought in?

There is a nice grassy area with tables which will be great in the sun - a bit chilly with a cold wind though. The courtyard is more sheltered but seems to close when the shops close. Very close to the M5 so an easy/quick detour.

Marc - thanks for the recommendation. The fish was very good, spanking fresh haddock in extremely crispy batter (some of the best I have had) and great grilled scallops. The only weakness seemed to be the chips which were not great - bought in?

Hi Phil, glad you enjoyed the fish and scallops. I agree about the chips, though, they are rather indifferent in comparison to the incredible fish. Yes, the courtyard shuts when Darts Farm closes. We live no more than 4-5 minutes away by car (or 15 minutes by foot). That's just about close enough to get the fish & chips home still piping hot - and not soggy (with lid of cardboard box open so that it does steam while being transported). But it's a risky business, I tell you. One of my friends lives marginally closer (so say 3 minutes away), and in eagerness to get said fish & chips home, he actually had a car accident driving down his own street (not his fault, he claims, though he does acknowledge that he was in a state of 'distracted urgency').

Next time you're back down this way, make sure and have a pint at the nearby Bridge Inn.

Marc