• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo's Kagurazaka neighborhood

elfin

Oru family of four will be in this neighborhood for a few days in June. Any recs for some budget places for dinner? We have two toddlers who are not big sashimi eaters. Any recs will be most appreciated!

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

You'll be near one of my favourite soba restaurants

Shinano - open lunchtime 11:30-15:30 and evenings 17:00- 20:30, Saturdays 11:00 - 19:30, closed on Sunday.

http://shinjukuku-kushouren.net/itten/shinano/

2-10 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku ku.

Map showing where it is in relation to Iidabashi station

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge...z=17&iwloc=addr

As well as soba there are other items such as tempura - everything is cooked to perfection

---

If you follow the moat down from Iidabashi station towards Ichigaya you'll pass one of Tokyo's most celebrated Ramen restaurants. Unfortunately, the popularity of this place and limited opening hours means that there is usually a queue (I'd avoid 12-2pm)

MAP

The place is called Kururi, address is 3-2 Ichigayatamachi

Here's a youtube video with more info

A bowl of noodles here is around ¥700, unfortunately, it's not really the best place for toddlers.

Edited by MoGa (log)

Nearly forgot.

Opposite of Kururi, just across the Yamanote line and moat, you'll see the tall Hosei University building which looms like a skyscraper.

From what I could tell when I was taken there, anyone can go into the University canteen.

This certainly qualifies for budget fare.

As you go into the canteen hall you'll see trays with food samples on them. Decide what you like the look of and buy appropriate tickets from the machine. Once you have the tickets then you can approach the serving counters. From what I remember, most of the dishes were around ¥300.

Avoid the peak lunch hours (as that's when the students will require their facilities), but if you go after 2pm there should be lots of room. There's enough room that you should be able to find a corner where your children can relax comfortably.

• 6 months later...