• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crispy Tacos - Best in Houston

Jay Francis

The reason that I like the Loma Linda taco is the taco shell. They get their masa from Super Lopez on Harrisburg and are able to make a thin tortilla that, when it immediately goes into the deep fat fryer, causes the tortilla to puff up. I tried doing this at home with Maseca and was never successful. Here's hoping that Loma Linda stays in business for a long time as they are one of the last if not the last Mexican restaurants that still serves chile con queso and tacos on a puffed shell.

Loma Linda went through a period a couple of years ago when their beef filling wasn't very good (lots of grease). It's really good now.

Edited by Jay Francis (log)

• 1 month later...

I had one of my very occasional yens for Tex-Mex today and went to try this out - had never been to Loma Linda. Wow, what a time trip. Reminded me most of the lone Tex-Mex restaurant in my small hometown growing up, the old Monterrey House chain, although I think Monterrey House was spicier than this!

I haven't been to Lopez in a couple of years but I thought they did the puffy chile con queso too, though not the taco.

I don't think I've ever seen a chili gravy that pale a shade of brown; nothing was greasy at all but except for the salsa which was ok, everything was too bland for my taste, even for retro Tex-Mex. The place was almost deserted for Sunday lunch.

I won't be a regular but it was worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by brucesw (log)

• 3 weeks later...