• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Supply Stores

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows about restaurant supply stores around Vancouver that are open to the public. I saw this blog post that talks about Genesis Food Equipment on Powell. I want to pick up some mixing bowls and various tools for my starting kitchen and I'm hoping I can get a better deal at one of these places. So, which are the best ones? Are they worth it compared to regular kitchen stores? Any idea what operating hours are like?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows about restaurant supply stores around Vancouver that are open to the public. I saw this blog post that talks about Genesis Food Equipment on Powell. I want to pick up some mixing bowls and various tools for my starting kitchen and I'm hoping I can get a better deal at one of these places. So, which are the best ones? Are they worth it compared to regular kitchen stores? Any idea what operating hours are like?

Aaron,

You can go to Russell Food Equipment on Venables.

Regards,

Leonard

www.nakocommunications.com

I've been to Genesis, Dunlevy and Russell. Depending upon the day, they all have good selection. You can sometimes check the catalogues on-line. Or, if you are looking for a specific item, call ahead to check stock. On the other hand, sometimes Costco has "just the right item", and Basic Stock is having a sale this week.

Karen Dar Woon

There is this store across from O'Grady's Westcoast on Hastings. The selection is pretty good. In Chinatown, there are 2 - Tinland and a new store, both on Pender between Main and Gore. The new store was not fully stocked yet. According to the staff there, the main branch is in Richmond, north of Westminister Hwy on Minoru Boullevard (north of the car show room).

Personally, for home, I like to shop at Ming Wo.

In Chinatown, there are 2 - Tinland and a new store, both on Pender between Main and Gore. The new store was not fully stocked yet. According to the staff there, the main branch is in Richmond, north of Westminister Hwy on Minoru Boullevard (north of the car show room).

I think that store is called Attison or Atkinson or something like that. I'm not sure the branch in Chinatown is called. I was just there a couple of days ago and the selection is great. I like this place because they have Chinese cooking implements like bamboo steamers at great prices. For example, a 10" steamer costs something like $15-18 at mall stores (Ming Wo, Cookworks, etc.). Here they are $3.95.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Recently, Pacific have had more of what I've been looking for than Russell's. Stocks vary and I think all the supply houses have their strengths.

As a generalisation I'd say that buying from a supply house is more likely to get you skookum basic gear than to save you money.

If you are setting up a home kitchen I would recommend two things:

One. Have a list of the items you need or want [and know the difference :wink: ]

Two. Take your time and make a weekly habit of checking out your nearest 'Homesense' store - they sell overstock on all sorts of kitchen equipment, and I've picked up some real steals there - $300 pans for $30, that kind of thing...

There are so many places in Chinatown that sell restaurant supplies. Don't be fooled by the "dollar store" look from the entrance. Go in and explore.

Ironically, I find Ikea kitchen products quite affordable, durable and looks good in the kitchen. My favorite is the spice grinders and 3 quart pot I bought a while ago.

Homesense is also a good store for marked down kitchen wares. I could go broke from all the things I've seen and want. I still don't know what to do with the three cake stands I bought 3 years ago.

Check out VCC (Vancouver Community College) on Pender. They sell supply to culinary students and I picked up a few basics like measuring cups, spoons, scrapers...

I think Basic Stock is having a 25% off (almost) everything sale this week, too.

I really like the selection of food storage containers at Dunlevy's and haven't seen the equivalent in more general kitchen supply places (but I expect other restaurant supply would have similar). There are a number of systems of rectangular or round containers that makes for very efficient storage both when in use, and when empty.