• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China 46 substitutes

pete ganz

China Chef in Secaucus is just OK. Not the same quality as NYC, but they do a real Sunday afternoon dim sum with carts and all.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

It's been a while since I've gone, but the weekend dim sum at Noodle Chu in Parsippany was pretty impressive the last time I was there...

These days, I get my (Sichuan) Chinese fix at Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Wow. Talk about serendipity! I drove past China 46 with a friend over the weekend, and was completely bemoaning the fact that it's closed, and I had eaten a great Chinese New Year meal with E-gulleters.....wah,wah, wah....

Anyway, I also go to Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove.

Tommyeats and Off The Broiler both give good marks to Petite Soochow in Cliffside Park, doesn't look like a dim sum/Sunday brunch place but it looks really, really good.

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/10...petite-soochow/

4thing Chengdu 1, I wish my fiancee was more spicy-tolerant so we could dive in headfirst. If it was still there, I'd also recommend Taipei Noodle, but Chengdu 23 is there now.

Shanghai Cafe in West Caldwell isn't really worth making a trip, Hunan Cottage in Fairfield is worth the trip if it's not TOO far.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Tommyeats and Off The Broiler both give good marks to Petite Soochow in Cliffside Park, doesn't look like a dim sum/Sunday brunch place but it looks really, really good. 

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/10...petite-soochow/

4thing Chengdu 1, I wish my fiancee was more spicy-tolerant so we could dive in headfirst.  If it was still there, I'd also recommend Taipei Noodle, but Chengdu 23 is there now. 

Shanghai Cafe in West Caldwell isn't really worth making a trip, Hunan Cottage in Fairfield is worth the trip if it's not TOO far.

Thanks for those. Chengdu 1 (sichuan) is good, but quite different from C46.

Good sub for China 46 is Hunan Cottage. The name is misleading. Despite the Hunan name, they have many Shanghai dishes ---- among them WuXi Ribs, Lion's Head Meatballs and noodle dishes with Shanghai noodles. Ask for the Chinese menu -- if they haven't yet combined their menus. Quite extensive menu, BTW.