• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland ME Food Sourcing

New Hampshire duo, Justin Rosberg and Jason Parent, owners of The Meat House with locations in York, ME and six others in NH, will open in Mill Creek Plaza, right over the bridge in South Portland.

From their website:

In addition to offering our customers a wide selection of premium meats, poultry, veal, pork , exotic meats and Boar's Head Deli products, all of our butcher shop locations carry more than 200 varieties of wines from around the world, fine cheeses, fresh produce, breads, side dishes, desserts, pastries, and other gourmet grocery items

The space recently vacated by a Curves franchise is about 2000 sq/ft and is completely empty right now. The Dover shop tells me that location and one in Scarborough will be opening simultaneously on July 4th 2008.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I get a quarterly newsletter from the The Cheese Iron #200, Rte 1 in Scarborough. Vince and his crew import some rare cheese from Europe and select fine American cheeses as well. They have monthly "classes" on the subject of cheese. The next one is May 22nd. Click here to join their mailing list.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

I get a quarterly newsletter from the The Cheese Iron #200, Rte 1 in Scarborough.  Vince and his crew import some rare cheese from Europe and select fine American cheeses as well.  They have monthly "classes" on the subject of cheese.  The next one is May 22nd. Click here to join their mailing list.

I have been to one of their classes (Spain & Portugal).

Excellent presentation. Well worth it, especially for the uninitiated.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the Northstar Cafe this morning and saw a poster announcing a new farmer's market in Knightville beginning Sunday May 25th. 9am - 3pm. 15 Ocean St. It reported limited spaces still available.

http://www.farmersmarketonline.com/fm/Knig...arketplace.html

There was also a poster for a Knightville Artisan Bazaar. Same place but on Saturday from 10am - ?? (I'm not sure what time). More info at info@maineartiststudio.com.

Btw, a few days ago I was at Hannaford in Mill Creek. The natural meat selection there always bums me out, but there was something that made me laugh. They had a very small selection of D'Artagnan rabbits, chickens and poussin. I would rather see local meats or a more consistent selection of natural meats available for my regular grocery shopping. For a D'Artagnan rabbit, I would be more than happy to travel to a specialty purveyor to purchase.

On another note, does anyone have any experience sourcing Maine Goat Meat? I found several farms online, but most sales opportunities seemed to be Midcoast - Rockland, Camden, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Btw, a few days ago I was at Hannaford in Mill Creek. The natural meat selection there always bums me out, but there was something that made me laugh. They had a very small selection of D'Artagnan rabbits, chickens and poussin. I would rather see local meats or a more consistent selection of natural meats available for my regular grocery shopping. For a D'Artagnan rabbit, I would be more than happy to travel to a specialty purveyor to purchase.

Dude! I saw those too! How about those "organic" chickens for $20?!! The chorizo for $8? I actually might buy those just to gauge the quality, but D'Artagnan hasn't impressed me that much in the past - but they have andouille that I bet might rival those made by the sausage guy at Fresh Approach (if you haven't purchased his work before, run - don't walk - to FA and try 'em).

Goat meat is available at a couple halal spots in town. This is exactly the topic to explore which are reliable.

Thanks for that and the Knightville Market launch, Ellie!

Portland Food Map.com

Checked in at Harbor Fish Market, #9 Custom House Wharf this morning to see what was in stock. For those with an interest in seafood for Memorial Day weekend, here is what I found:

Oysters: $1.10 to $1.30 each

Source:

Damariscotta

Winterpoint

Blue Point - Conn.

Matunuck - RI

Malpeque - CAN

Clams: Topneck - RI $.70ea; Steamers - Scarborough - $1.99/lb

Soft Shell Crab - MD: Primes - $3.99ea; Whales - $4.99ea (they will clean for you)

Scallops - Dry: 20-40 count - $13.99; 10-15 count - $15.99

Haddock: Medium - $7.99; Large - $10.99

Striped Bass (farmed): $5.99 (they will clean for you)

Black Sea Bass (wild): $6.99 (they will clean for you)

Arctic Char: $9.99/lb

Shad Roe: $9.99 pair

Cod - bone in: fresh/salted - $9.99/lb

Casco Bay Mackerel - $1.99/lb (they will clean for you)

Fiddleheads - $3.99/lb

I never bothered to look at the lobster price. Call Harbor Fish for price checks. I paid $3.14 for two cleaned Mackerel, a fast, tasty lunch for today.

edit to add: I should also mention that Harbor carries Halibut, Salmon, Monkfish, Flounder, Rainbow Trout, Sole, Swordfish and of course, Tuna, but I just zero in on offerings I find unique and interesting - a shameless bias, I guess, but there you are.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Dude! I saw those too! How about those "organic" chickens for $20?!!  The chorizo for $8?  I actually might buy those just to gauge the quality, but D'Artagnan hasn't impressed me that much in the past - but they have andouille that I bet might rival those made by the sausage guy at Fresh Approach (if you haven't purchased his work before, run - don't walk - to FA and try 'em).

Goat meat is available at a couple halal spots in town.  This is exactly the topic to explore which are reliable.

Thanks for that and the Knightville Market launch, Ellie!

Bad news on the Knightville Farmers Market. I just got word that this weekend's first market is cancelled due to lack of farmer participation. John Seymour, the organizer, did say there was a lot of excitement in the community but there is a need to spread the word to the farmers.

Hopefully this thing will get off the ground! I think it would be a wonderful addition to the area!

On another note, yesterday my partner decided to make a fish soup. As we headed off to Hannaford to pick up a few last items, he lamented about the odds of finding decent chorizo. Thanks to johnnyd, I knew they had that D'Artagnan chorizo. I am not sure how it rates against others as I'm not well versed in chorizo. Overall it worked very well in our soup providing nice flavor and color to the soup. And that chowder/soup fish they sell at Harbor, the scraps from the days cuttings, are a always a tasty and inexpensive treat!

I enjoy seeing the seafood products and prices from nearby, thanks JD.

I've not seen a clam called topneck at my market - is it different from a little neck or cherrystone?

Do you ever see Arctic surf clams? How about snow crab?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've not seen a clam called topneck at my market - is it different from a little neck or cherrystone?

Do you ever see Arctic surf clams? How about snow crab?

Topnecks to my eye are in between littlenecks and countnecks (the smallest). Cherry stones seem to have gotten "bigger" since I first discovered them as a kid on the Vinyard. Topnecks make a great chowder - less chewy than Quahogs, the largest hard-shell clam sold in New England. Harbor had Razor Clams all March and April for $5.99/lb. No sign of Arctic Surf Clam or Snow Crab, but we have tons of Jonah Crab. They come picked in pints for about $7 and quarts for $14.

Portland Food Map.com

Fresh Mediterranean anchovies for $8.99/lb at Harbor Fish Market, delivered this morning.

Whole squid from Rhode Island - tons of it - $2.99/lb

Matunuck - RI. Oysters were all a perfect two inches long with a deepish cup, $1.20ea

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...
On another note, yesterday my partner decided to make a fish soup.  As we headed off to Hannaford to pick up a few last items, he lamented about the odds of finding decent chorizo.  Thanks to johnnyd, I knew they had that D'Artagnan chorizo.  I am not sure how it rates against others as I'm not well versed in chorizo.  Overall it worked very well in our soup providing nice flavor and color to the soup.  And that chowder/soup fish they sell at Harbor, the scraps from the days cuttings, are a always a tasty and inexpensive treat!

Hi Ellie, the Rosemont on Brighton frequently has chorizo in both mild and spicy back in the meat case on the chicken side. Mild is still on the spicy side and I have used it both with fish and eggs. I can't remember brand name (except it wasn't D'Artagnan) or pricing, but it comes in one folded over link like kielbasa. They also sometimes have smaller sausage-sized chorizo, but I prefer the larger.

Hi Ellie, the Rosemont on Brighton frequently has chorizo in both mild and spicy back in the meat case on the chicken side. Mild is still on the spicy side and I have used it both with fish and eggs. I can't remember brand name (except it wasn't D'Artagnan) or pricing, but it comes in one folded over link like kielbasa. They also sometimes have smaller sausage-sized chorizo, but I prefer the larger.

Thanks so much the tip, esme! You've reminded me, I'm definitely long overdue for a visit to Rosemont.

• 2 weeks later...
New Hampshire duo, Justin Rosberg and Jason Parent, owners of The Meat House with locations in York, ME and six others in NH, will open in Mill Creek Plaza, right over the bridge in South Portland.

From their website:

In addition to offering our customers a wide selection of premium meats, poultry, veal, pork , exotic meats and Boar's Head Deli products, all of our butcher shop locations carry more than 200 varieties of wines from around the world, fine cheeses, fresh produce, breads, side dishes, desserts, pastries, and other gourmet grocery items

The Meat House is now open! I stopped in today to check it out. I was really surprised how nice the space is, with high ceilings, pleasant lighting and a spacious, open feel.

I am really pleased with what I saw. There are some natural meat selections, which I'm pleased to see. I really appreciate some of the brands they've selected to sell, including Olivia's greens, Java Joe's (??) maine roasted coffee, La Regina tomatoes, Meadowbrook Mozarella from VT, Boars Head, Al Fresco sausage, Stubbs bbq sauces (which I searched high and low for a few weeks ago and couldn't find), and on and on. Oh, and pies, big and little ones.

They stock a pretty complete line of Terra Cotta products, pastas, sauces, etc. Lots of pre-marinated meats for last minute meals. Big, beautiful boston pork butt roasts that will require we fire up the smoker at the next available opportunity -- or if the weather takes a turn, a sinful batch of carnitas!

I guess I'm just so thrilled to have another option in the Mill Creek area. As my baby belly gets bigger and bigger, trips across the bridge become less and less appealing. Farms stands, farmers markets and a convenient nearby grocer is just right~!

• 4 months later...

How about Fresh Approach, 155 Brackett St.?

I only mention because they have a creative sausage maker (so far: best chorizo I've had in town) so his skills could be swayed to perhaps any request. Try it.

-----------

I was just down at Harbor Fish - they have baby polpo and fresh sardines from Portugal - both for $8.99/lb. I bought some of both - never cooked polpo myself.

Fresh Anchovies were $9.49/lb.

Portland Food Map.com

How about Fresh Approach, 155 Brackett St.?

I only mention because they have a creative sausage maker (so far: best chorizo I've had in town) so his skills could be swayed to perhaps any request.  Try it.

-----------

I was just down at Harbor Fish - they have baby polpo and fresh sardines from Portugal - both for $8.99/lb.  I bought some of both - never cooked polpo myself.

Fresh Anchovies were $9.49/lb.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try! Good luck with the polpo. Let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been checking all over town and cannot seem to find lard.  The butcher is putting together a stash of pork fat for me, but I'd still like to find a source for the rendered stuff. 

Any ideas?

TIA

I just (15 Nov.) bought about 8 pounds fresh "Leaf Lard" off of a whole pig recently slaughtered and rendered it myself. It was snow white and even contained the two kidneys in it.

One must request to be notified by the Farmer whenever they slaughter and reserve it. I done that last summer and was told to call back around end of September to be reminded for the November date.

Her is the address:

Spring Brook Farms for Bacon & Hams , 168 Greely Rd , Cumberland Ctr, ME 04021 (207) 829-5977 , Cell : 671-3165

For the best ham you’ve ever had, go right to Spring Brook Farm on Greeley Road in Cumberland Center for their smoked leg of pork, a special that they have in the spring. They raise their own pigs, smoke the shanks or legs and produce a beautifully smoked ham that is hog heaven.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting specialty seafood at Harbor Fish this morning. Ben told me he expects to be busy.

Atlantic Eels - $8.99/lb

Whelks - $5.99/lb

Periwinkles - $1.99/lb

Also, fresh squid from Rhode Island, Branzini, Ocean Perch, Lemon Sole and a pale-color salmon from the left coast that looked good. Of course, the usual Tuna, Halibut, Cod etc.

Huge cherrystones are $0.65 each - steamers and oysters are plentiful.

Portland Food Map.com

• 6 months later...
Visiting Portland this week and looking for foodie places to visit.  Thanks to this thread, we'll hit Harbor Fish and The Cheese Iron.  Any other places worth tracking down?

Rabelais Books on Middle Street

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, Harbor Fish on Customs House Wharf had fresh sardines, branzini and baby polpo flown in from Portugal - all for $7.99/lb

They also had fresh peas from Alewife farm, Cape Elizabeth, for $4.99/lb

King and Sockeye salmon from the Pacific coast; farm-raised "antibiotic-free" scottish salmon, and Atlantic salmon were on sale, plus the usual good looking fish in the case. Lot's of flounder too.

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether local sea urchin is in season and if so, where it can be purchased?

Another thing I can't seem to get straight is ankimo. It seems monkfish is always available so why not the livers? Its all so confusing .... :)

Does anyone know whether local sea urchin is in season and if so, where it can be purchased? 

Another thing I can't seem to get straight is ankimo.  It seems monkfish is always available so why not the livers?  Its all so confusing .... :)

October to March is the best time to buy uni at sushi bars. Browne Trading is a retail purchase opton. Ankimo is also best in winter.

Portland Food Map.com

Another thing I can't seem to get straight is ankimo.  It seems monkfish is always available so why not the livers?  Its all so confusing .... :)

October to March is the best time to buy uni at sushi bars. Browne Trading is a retail purchase opton. Ankimo is also best in winter.

Thanks for the info! A bright spot for winter, I guess.