• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ready to eat snacks from Asia.

LindsayAnn

Okay guys (and gals) - I love trying new things....especially snacky type things.

I somehow came across the website for a food grocer in Cali....an Asian food Grocer (called 'Asian Food Grocer' - go figure).

I have never tried these, but ordered them anyhow (on Monday). They just arrived (WOW, that was actually pretty fast!!!).

I need advice on how to enjoy these.....do I eat em straight outta the package? What do you do with them? What are they good to eat with (in combination). And - what is your opinion of them?

These mystery items are:

1.) Konjac China Spices Fiber slices

2..) Companion Lychee Konjac Fiber slices (basically look just like item one, jsut a different flavor)

3.) Squid Kizami 2 Oz (dried squid). I have never had this but I love cooked squid, fried, sauteed, marinated....both squid and octopus, calamari....mmm I actually like em really chewy - so I thought i would like these. In the ingredients it's just dried squid, sugar, salt, MSG *I dont usually like to eat MSG but I make exceptions, haha).

4.) Ohmoriya Teriyaki Nori (80 pcs). Tried seaweed I think. These are seasoned.

Opinions? Thoughts? Recommendations needed!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I don't know anything about the fiber slices but will have to try them if I can find them here.

I have never tried dried squid, but I feel certain someone here can help with recommendations.

As for the nori strips, I love them and can empty a container in no time. I like them straight out of the container, but have also eaten them shredded on rice and on top of cold soba noodles. They have really great umami, and sense I know you love cheese, I think you will love those.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but let us know what you think about the products.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Okay, I'll take a stab at it...

I've never heard of konjac slices, but from the photos & descriptions on the grocer's website, they look kind of like potato chips. Just eat as-is out of the bag. Konjac (konnyaku in Japanese) is a taro-like root vegetable that has very few calories. I haven't a clue how these "fiber slices" taste!

The squid is also meant to be snacked on as-is. It's dry and chewy. The Japanese like to eat it with drinks/beer because the salt makes them thirsty for more drinks/beer!

The nori is small rectangles of teriyaki seasoned nori. I've bought this brand before, but can't recall whether it's individual packs or all in the same jar. Eat as-is or as a companion to rice -- you can make mini sushi handrolls by picking up a bit of rice and rolling it in a nori strip.

All of the snacks should be kept airtight if you don't finish them in one sitting! (The only one I wouldn't finish in one sitting is the nori.)

Enjoy!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Thanks SuziSushi!

Snacks...good - that is what I was planning on doing with all of them :) I will report back my findings (shortly)!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I've had variations of 3 (without the sugar) and 4

As insomniac mentioned, the squid is best avoided in polite company and should never be eaten on public transport.

4 (the seasoned nori) is extremely versatile. Wrap it around pieces of cheese, slices of cucumber, chunks of avocado - also good wrapped around some fish and meats, instantly turning them into 'finger food'.

Crumble it onto a portion of rice with hot green tea poured over it (preferably with some salmon or katsuobushi/bonito shavings too) for a light meal.

Toast/grill mochi pieces and wrap a piece of nori around them (also good with a additional piece of cheddar cheese).

If the nori sheets start to soften, gently waft the shiny side over a source of heat to 're-toast' it. It will taste fresh again.

OK, HERE GOES.

Haha, you can see I haven't done this picture thing in a while - that didn't work at all.

Shoot guys - how do I do this again?

This first one is the seasoned nori/seaweed. Its actually a bit spicy!?!?! it comes in a little tupperware - 10 servings per container.

gallery_45216_5942_248894.jpg

But - this one (also seaweed) is better (tasting). Its seasoned - but not spicy. This alittle package is one of three (it came in a set of three mini ones - each is one serving). This one has oil in the ingredients, the other (pictured above) does not. BUt - its sooo much better. After opened it says to store in airtight container in the fridge. Umm....who wouldnt eat it all at once! HAHA - it is only one serving, 10 sheets per package.

gallery_45216_5942_446255.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_492301.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_565833.jpg

Here is the dried squid. it is good, but a bit sweet (too sweet).

gallery_45216_5942_420866.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_456678.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_628033.jpg

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

These are the fiber slices I was talking about - Lychee flavor.

gallery_45216_5942_391928.jpg

Here they are spread out a bit on my countertop - so you can see what they look like. they taste ok, chewy....a little too plasticy....really! They kinda taste like plastic!

gallery_45216_5942_638557.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_188171.jpg

I also got these - not mentioned earlier. Now - I have NO clue how to use these....dried shrimp. Can I just eat em? Do you rehydrate with water and use them for cooking/soups and the such??

gallery_45216_5942_606992.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_334094.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_722791.jpg

gallery_45216_5942_3396.jpg

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

I personally wouldn't snack on the dried shrimp, but I do use them regularly for cooking with - they come in all different sizes.

The ones you have are similar to ones I used today to make a Thai recipe for Chilli Jam (Nam Prik Pao) which I fried briefly before pounding them into a paste.

I'm particularly fond of sakura ebi, which are teeny dried shrimp. I often add sakura ebi and/or strands of dried cuttle fish (without sugar) to the batter of a favourite but not instant snack food - okonomiyaki.

soak the dried shrimps till soft. Chop them coarsely and use them to stir-fry with Chinese greens like chye sim, bok chye.

they can be used to make soup stock. Again soak and chop, fry in a bit of oil. Add water and boil briefly. strain and use as stock.

we normally just add in some greens veggi and tofu. didn't bother to strain.

they are also one of the ingredients used to make sambal chillies.

peony

oh jeez I love dried squid. You can lightly toast it over an open flame (if you have a gas stove) or just toast it on the burner in an electric stove. I also like it boiled in water for a few minutes cause it gets chewier and slightly plump.

I only dip it in good ol mayo and it's tasty with peanuts. It's a nice drinking snack

whoops didn't notice that your squid is "flavored"....hmm I would just eat it as is as a nice snack. However if you get your hands on some plain ol dried squid with nothing added than I would try out my reccomendations.

btw what do you think of your new found treats?

oh and the nori, how is it seasoned? is it seasoned with salt and sesame oil? if it is, it sounds like Korean seaweed. I like to eat it wrapped in rice or added in kimbap.

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

When I was a child, we'd sometimes grill dried squid outside. It was very cool to do it with the whole dried squid, because the tentacles would come alive and wriggle all over the place!

OK, not all over the place, but when you're 6, it was pretty much all over the place...

I love the dried squid, but it's one of those things that I don't eat when other people than my hubby are around. It's not a pleasant smell.

*Raises her hand up

Ditto here too.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a lively, cartoon-emblazoned container of a dried cephalopod snack called "Mr. Squid" last year thinking the same thing: I like squid, and it has just a few ingredients -- basically squid, sugar, salt, chili pepper.

It was one of the worst things I have ever put into my mouth. It reminded me of rotten bait left to dry on pavement.

This is pretty interesting...I've never had it before.

Can someone tell me what kind of dried squid should I buy? There's a ton of different whole dried squids available in Chinatown. Which one? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this appetizer (with tiny dried shrimp) many times, at Thai restaurants and made at home.

It's actually quite easy to make--- just assembly.

http://tinyurl.com/67vynw

Lymie

P.S. I also used them as dog training treats when I raised dogs. Of course the odor remained in the jacket pocket! I used a 'dedicated' jacket for this. <g>

I personally wouldn't snack on the dried shrimp, but I do use them regularly for cooking with - they come in all different sizes.

The ones you have are similar to ones I used today to make a Thai recipe for Chilli Jam (Nam Prik Pao) which I fried briefly before pounding them into a paste. 

I'm particularly fond of sakura ebi, which are teeny dried shrimp.  I often add sakura ebi and/or strands of dried cuttle fish (without sugar) to the batter of a favourite but not instant snack food - okonomiyaki.