• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher or Best Meats in Santa Barbara

Here are some possibilities:

Ye Olde Butcher Shop

4317 State St

Santa Barbara, CA

(805) 967-9213

Shalhoob Meat Co.

220 Gray Ave

Santa Barbara, CA

(805) 963-7733

Whitefoot Meat Market

336 N Milpas St Ste E

Santa Barbara, CA 93103

(805) 965-8850

I'm most familiar with the first 2 establishments, but the third one has positive reviews.

In yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle / Food section, cookbook author Jacqueline Higuera McMahan cited Lazy Acres in Santa Barbara as her source for meats used in a series of recipes published.

I've no personal experience with this butcher but her mention of them was something I noted.

Her background per The Chronicle is as follows: Jacqueline Higuera McMahan's family lived on one of the last Spanish land-grant ranchos in the Bay Area. She has lived in Mexico and now resides in Southern California, and is the author of "California Rancho Cooking" (Sasquatch Books, 2003).

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 8 months later...

I'd be very interested in if anyone can comment on purchasing direct from producers, either through the farmers' markets or otherwise. It seems that pastured beef and chicken is somewhat available, but I'll be damned if I can find a good source of naturally-raised pork anywhere in SB county. Shalhoob is a nice option and very pleasant to deal with even though they're definitely more of a wholesale operation. However the quality of the meats they offer isn't much different from what's available in the supermarkets, although their prices and selection are far better.

So, for farm-direct animal products around Santa Barbara (hell, say anywhere within a 100 mi radius), who is offering what of the following (contact info much appreciated):

- beef

- pork

- chicken, duck, geese

- eggs

- lamb or goat

- milk: pasteurized or raw on the sly (PM if you're not comfortable putting that info out)

Let's have em :cool: