• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Official State Desserts

weinoo

In today's NY Times, there's a piece about an about to be designated state of Maryland dessert, the Smith Island cake.

With the blessing of state lawmakers in Annapolis, a sweet blend of flour, butter, eggs and chocolate may provide an economic boost to this small, struggling island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.

I don't believe NY has one (though the state fruit is the apple, which would perhaps make the apple pie a good choice). Does your state have an "official" dessert? If so, what is it? If not, what should it be?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't believe NY has one (though the state fruit is the apple, which would perhaps make the apple pie a good choice). ...

It looks like Vermont has already staked claim to the Apple Pie. For New York, if we have to choose something, it's gotta be Cheesecake, no?

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

For New York, if we have to choose something, it's gotta be Cheesecake, no?

I'd say "definitely".

And speaking for New Jersey... our state dessert should probably be cannoli. :cool:

Edited because "definitely" was definitely spelled wrong!

Edited by LVic (log)

Suggestions for states I've lived in:

New York - no doubt about it, the Cheesecake

Massachusetts - another no brainer, Boston Cream Pie

New Hampshire - wow, I lived there for 7 years and I can't really come up with a definitive dessert for the state. Lots of people seemed to be fond of making Blueberry Buckle but it was always after they had been to Maine over the weekend and gotten some blueberries there.

Texas - possibly the Pecan Praline? Though, I am sure there are many southern states that would like to claim this as their own.

Well, what do you know. The Boston Cream Pie is already the Official State Dessert of Massachusetts http://www.foodreference.com/html/fdesserts.html.

Edited by Stefferdoos (log)

I'd like to argue against cheesecake for New York. I don't know anyone who is big on cheesecake. I'd vote for rice pudding or black and white cookies. It's difficult to speak for the entire state, though.

I grew up in Ohio and I'd like to cast this vote: Glorified Rice. It has likely died away by now, but when I was a Cakelet growing up, many a church supper and potluck included it.

White rice, canned mandarin oranges, canned pineapple, and miniature marshmallows held together in a salad-like consistency with Cool Whip. My neice and nephews are fond of some goop that I believe is Cool Whip and Jello mixed together. I've never tasted it, but I feel that it's the bastard child of Glorified Rice.

I've only traveled through New Mexico, my opinion doesn't count, but I'd vote for sopapillas.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Well, I note that Pennsylvania has yet to name an official state dessert, but I suspect if it did, it would be shoo fly pie.

However, the official state beverage -- milk -- is a common ingredient in many desserts.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

For Michigan, without a doubt, cherry pie. Possibly this one.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm originally from Massachusetts, so I remember this story.

The Boston Cream Pie became the Massachusetts State Dessert when a high school civics class in 1996 asked the legislature to designate it as the state dessert. It was a class project. They thought they were choosing an uncontroversial subject. Wrong. Lobbies developed to make the Toll House cookie or Indian pudding the state dessert. After a legislative battle, the students and Boston Cream Pie won out. Those students learned more about real-life civics than they had bargained for.

The following year, a third grade class asked the legislature to designate the Chocolate Chip (or Toll House) cookie the Official State Cookie. The legislature acceded. They like to make people happy.

I'm waiting for Indian pudding to be designated the Official State Pudding.

You can read about the Massachusetts State Dessert controversy in the Boston Globe archives for a fee (see bottom of list). http://search.boston.com/local/Search.do?s...ate=&s.endDate=

SuzySushi, I just got back from Hawaii -- how does the mac nut pie stack against haupia?

On an eGullet tip I went to Costco and bought a mac nut pie. Wowee was that good, and a can of Qwip to go with it.

I also enjoyed going through a drive-through window and getting two slices of pie. I like a state where you can get drive-through pie.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Maryland just got its official dessert last week.

EWELL, Md. -- As she stacks and frosts her 10-layer yellow cake with chocolate icing, Beverly Guy will not share the recipe, for one simple reason: all those commercial bakers on the mainland. They've been selling what she calls "Smith Island-like" cake, and that just doesn't sit well with her.

Looks good.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Well, after a little research it looks like Missouri may have an official state dessert by the end of May......it will be the ice cream cone. Generic, yet iconic....something to do with it making its debut at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. So I guess that makes sense, even though I think my flourless chocolate torte/Nutella concoction known as "Satan's Glorious Victory" would make a WAY better choice..... :rolleyes:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Florida - Key lime pie - Official state pie - 2006

Louisiana Beignet Official State doughnut 1986

Louisiana Natchitoches Meat Pie Official State meat pie 2003

Maryland Smith Island Cake State dessert 2008

Massachusetts Corn muffin Official muffin 1986

Massachusetts Boston Cream Pie Official dessert or dessert emblem 1996

Massachusetts Chocolate Chip Cookie Official cookie 1997

Massachusetts Boston Cream Donut Official donut 2003

Minnesota Blueberry muffin Official muffin 1988

New Mexico Biscochito Official cookie 1989

New York Apple muffin Official muffin 1987

Oklahoma Fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork,

biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries,

chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas. Official State meal 1988

South Dakota Kuchen Official State dessert 2000

Vermont Apple pie State pie 1999

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?T...D=27009񢆂

Georgia, where I live, must be a peach pie since that is the official fruit ...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Well, after a little research it looks like Missouri may have an official state dessert by the end of May......it will be the ice cream cone.  Generic, yet iconic....something to do with it making its debut at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.  So I guess that makes sense, even though I think my flourless chocolate torte/Nutella concoction known as "Satan's Glorious Victory" would make a WAY better choice..... :rolleyes:

Also - MO has an official tree nut (Eastern Black Walnut) and an official grape (Norton/Cynthiana). If you have the nuts on a cheese tray with a Norton wine, would that count as dessert?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Well as I live in Australia, I will give you a few Aussie desserts that we would call "ours":

Lamingtons - Basically a cube-shaped sponge cake dipped in chocolate icing then rolled in desiccated coconut. They are also often cut in half where stawberry jam and whipped cream is added, but I prefer them plain. Here is a pic:

250px-NZ_Lamington.jpg

Pavlova - This was named after the Russian dancer, Anna Pavlova while she toured Australia and New Zealand. It's a meringue with cream and fruit on top.

We also have the ANZAC biscuit (or cookie) which stands for the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps which were invented when wives/girlfriends of overseas soldiers sent them over due to worrying about their nutrition during war. We have just had ANZAC day which is a commemortaive day, honouring the solders that were killed in WW1 at Gallipoli. The biscuit is made with golden syrup, oats, and flour and are delicious:

134122263_cb51e44173_o.jpg

Edited by sherrid (log)

Melbourne, Australia

'One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.' ~Virginia Woolf

We don't have a state dessert in Hawaii, but if we did, it would surely be haupia (coconut custard).

Or shave ice maybe?

Maybe... but it doesn't travel well :raz: , and IMO it's too similar to snow cones, which are available elsewhere. There's no equivalent of haupia! :laugh:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

SuzySushi,  I just got back from Hawaii -- how does the mac nut pie stack against haupia?

On an eGullet tip I went to Costco and bought a mac nut pie.  Wowee was that good, and a can of Qwip to go with it.

I also enjoyed going through a drive-through window and getting two slices of pie.  I like a state where you can get drive-through pie.

I still vote for haupia! Or if you want to be really decadent, chocolate haupia pie -- which is filled with a layer of haupia, a layer of chocolate pudding, and topped with whipped cream!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I dont think Washington has a dessert?

but I personally think it should be blackberry cobbler or even better huckleberry pie!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet