• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sidewalk Patios in Toronto

jsmith

Summer is just starting, and I'm ashamed to say that in my two years here I've yet to find a great sidewalk patio.

My requirements are:

Lots of foot traffic for people watching (interesting people is a bonus)

Street is not so busy it makes it unpleasant

Decent beer

Decent food

It would be nice if it was south of Bloor, and west of downtown, but I'm willing to travel. Something in Kensington Market would be perfect.

Any favourites you want to share?

Musa.

Gato Nero, Cucina.

Foggy Dew and Old York - although the food at the Dew has slid a lot since it first opened (and was just pub grub to begin with for the most part) and there ain't a lot of foot traffic by the Old York.

All west of downtown. Decent beer at all. Edible food generally.

Cheers,

Geoff

Gordon: Is Fresh the one you mean? (Ignore the off-point google map please). It's at the corner of Queen and Crawford, west of Trinity-Bellwoods?

jsmith: damn. are those pages crashing on you, or not loading? sigh.

Anyway, I just came back in to note that apparently we're releasing our Patio Guide on May 15. Don't know if you can wait that long...!

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Gordon: Is Fresh the one you mean? (Ignore the off-point google map please). It's at the corner of Queen and Crawford, west of Trinity-Bellwoods?

jsmith: damn. are those pages crashing on you, or not loading? sigh.

Anyway, I just came back in to note that apparently we're releasing our Patio Guide on May 15. Don't know if you can wait that long...!

It's working now, looking forward to this years issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Going to add for a good meal Amuse Bouche and Niagara St Cafe both have patios - Amuse's is particularly lovely. But these are places that are serious about their food - not sure what the beer selection is like at either - but the wine selections might be a better bet. For serious dinners - reservations and all that - not sure you could just pop in for a cocktail? Also on side streets. Not devoid of street life, but not Queen or College.

Plus (and this goes for the nearby Foggy Dew and Old York) they are in rather close proximity to a pork processing plant. Can be quite unpleasant if the wind is blowing from the south. Old York and Niagara St are probably close enough to hear them (the pigs) as well, which might put some off their Berkshire pork.

I'm not sure there' a place in Kensington that has a patio and decent beer and edible grub. Does a Corona with tacos al pastor at the Mexican place on Augusta count?

Politica on Strachan has a patio, not yet open - can't remember the beer situation. There's a place at Wellington and Portland that looks kinda upscale-pubby. That might fit your needs, but I haven't been. If you check it out, please let us know.

Cheers,

Geoff