• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazed Donut Bacon Cheeseburgers

Gifted Gourmet

source for post

The burger, which was introduced at Gateway’s December 10th sale, consists of a thick and juicy burger topped with sharp cheddar cheese and two slices of bacon. The burger is then placed in between each side of a Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut.”

Actually, this sounds not unlike the Luther Burger named after (the late) singer Luther Vandross ... seems, according to Snopes.com, that he made the burger but had no bread in the house and opted instead for using a Krispy Kreme doughnut .. a mix of salty and sweet tastes ...

Does this sound:

(a) temptingly different? :biggrin:

(b) bizarre and repellant? :blink:

© a bit too heavy on calories? :hmmm:

(d) "this one scares even me!" :shock:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

B.

I gotta say B.

I like burgers. I like donuts. But some things should just not be combined.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

D. That's just wrong in my book!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

d) Yuck!

For me Krispy Kreme are over sweet and fatty. Combine that with more fatty meat, bacon and cheese and you have a coronary special. No wonder the US has a problem with obesity.

Why not batter and deep fry the lot and serve it on a stick?

Edited by jackal10 (log)

d) Yuck!

For me Krispy Kreme are over sweet and fatty.  Combine that with more fatty meat, bacon and cheese and you have a coronary special. No wonder the US has a problem with obesity.

Why not batter and deep fry the lot and serve it on a stick?

Wow! With a nice beer batter? I gotta try that!!

Mmmmmmmmmmm donuts! MMMMMMMMMMMMM :raz::biggrin:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

As I recall someone pointing out when the Luther sandwich surfaced in a previous thread, this concept is actually not all that far removed from that of a Monte Cristo sandwich (which are often griddled or fried, and then sprinkled with powdered sugar). In fact, I'm tempted to nickname this burger/doughnut creation a "redneck Monte Cristo" :biggrin: Still -- it ain't exactly on my diet. So for me, it's a "c".

I'll go with A, but then I'm the one that eats raspberry preserves with my breakfast sausages! :laugh:

judiu try real maple syrup...

back to the answer to the question - b,c and d :hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Are we sure this concoction didn't originate with Paula Deen? :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

How about "ick". Is "ick" an option? Maybe "get the hell away from me with that thing?" Can I write that in?

Just wrong on so many levels. I gagged a little just reading about it. This from a guy who happily had bacon with his waffle (at Waffle House, of course) this morning.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

All I can think of is squishing that donut up against the hot burger with my fingers and getting grease and melted sugar running down my arms. And how greasy it would be. And my stomach turns.

Is that b or d?

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Eh. I'd give it a curiosity bite but that's it. Even if it knocked my socks off I wouldn't ever select it as a meal or "snack." There's better food out there to spend my calorie allowance on.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Sorry, I am a D.

I do enjoy the time to time indulgence in potato chips and oreos, but rarely.

Just doesn't seem right.

Raised in Krispy Kreme land, but not a Krispy Kreme fan. Knew people that worked at KK. Could get all I wanted for free. Didn't care. Maybe I knew too much?

The chocolate glazed, I can eat two or three per year, if I am feeling frisky. Don't care for the straight up KK.

I guess I'd have to pick every option except "Temptingly Different."

But how 'bout option

(e) "Scary, too heavy on calories, bizarre and even possibly downright repellant -- but if you don't keep an open mind, you'll never make any interesting discoveries -- and besides, adding salt to sweet dishes and sugar to savory ones works pretty good. So if presented with the oportunity, I would at least try taking a bite, just to check it out."

I guess I'd have to pick every option except "Temptingly Different."

But how 'bout option

(e) "Scary, too heavy on calories, bizarre and even possibly downright repellant -- but if you don't keep an open mind, you'll never make any interesting discoveries -- and besides, adding salt to sweet dishes and sugar to savory ones works pretty good. So if presented with the oportunity, I would at least try taking a bite, just to check it out."

True.

:smile: