• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catering a Dinner

mzrb

This is just an open call to any caterers/personal chefs out there: What do you charge to cook for a 12-person sit-down dinner (appetizers, no first course, main course, dessert/coffee, etc). Do you like to charge by the hour? By the person? I've done it both ways and realize I am earning less than my babysitter and sigh...it would be nice to make a teensy-weensy bit of money.

Not even sure if this is the right place to post this question. But, I appreciate any and all input from you wise folks out there.

Thanks.

I'd start with the food cost of the menu. Then, add labor and overhead and approximately 5-10% profit. Is this for a specific function, or are you looking at a formula for an ongoing business? The above formula is a simplified form of most operating budgets.

Shop time - 15.00

Prep/Cook Time 20.-25 hr

Cost of food of course.

I did it that way for several personal chef things before the catering hit me.

Cost of food then you can add 20% gratuity

what they call ++ which is tax and tip

So the bill could be ex

75.00 a person ++ (the cost of food plus your time - then ++) for the bottom line

MAKE SURE YOU ARE ACCURATE ON FOOD - you don't want to make a mistake and end up eating it on your cut.

Before you present the "quote", have an idea of how long it will take for you to prepare the requested menu.

I use a

basic hourly rate + food + markup + contingency / # of guests = price per person

sort of formula

But, have an idea of what your minimum "call out rate" is, and what your food costs may be, so that you will have a range of prices for the menus.

Or, you could just say "$$$ for the time, plus an hour for shopping, plus the food cost"

Karen Dar Woon

I usually triple my food costs. I cooked a dinner for 8 people( spinach salad w/ warm bacon dressing, pan roasted chix breasts with a vermouth sage sauce, smashed poatoes, green beans w/ almonds, and a trio of mini desserts).

I charged 50 a person!! I made a nice profit!!

Never mind, it was irrelevant to the topic so I edited it out.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.