• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nikon Coolpix S520 anybody?

Maureen B. Fant

Has anyone any dope on this new Nikon?

The food setting supposedly allows closeups in low light without flash. Seems too good to be true, and the more expensive Coopix models don't have it, at least under that name.

My Pentax Optio has just ceased to function and I'm at risk of doing something rash. :unsure:

Edited by Maureen B. Fant (log)

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

I have an Olympus P&S (don't recall the specific model off the top of my head) that also has a food setting, though I have found it to be pretty worthless compared to using my regular camera.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've been looking for a new digital camera, so I took a look at the S520 specs. It looks like they're relying on high ISO for the low-light shooting. But the coolpix has a maximum ISO of 2000, while if you look at the Fuji Finepix F50, it's highest ISO is 6400, so it would have greater light sensitivity.

Also, the S520 claims a macro focal range of 15cm, while the F50 is 5cm, allowing you to get a closer shot, should you want.

DPReview gives the FinepixF50 a (barely) "Highly Recommended" rating, and the price is roughly the same as the Coolpix S520. They haven't reviewed the S520, though.

Standard disclaimer...not related to fuji...etc. etc., but my very first very simple P&S digital was a Fuji, and it took great pictures despite its lack of features, so I have great fondness for the brand. (My current is a Canon 620 which also takes great pictures, but is heavy and most definitely not pocket-sized.)

Note: It's specifically the FinepixF50fd to which I refer.

Edited by prasantrin (log)