• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hix Oyster and Chop House

Dropped in with Robin for a light supper tonite.

General opinion was it lacks the magic of, say, a Magdalen which is a shame given its pedigree. Suspect Jan Moirs review is taking the piss slightly, to be polite.

Having said that its still early days. Gary will probably have a better view when his turn comes round. And if not I'm sure work will be picking up the tab anyhow...

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Suspect Jan Moirs review is taking the piss slightly, to be polite.

Just re-read the review and not sure what you're getting at. She seems to be very straight and earnest in her appreciation of the place, indicated by the complete lack of the usual quota of gags.

Suspect Jan Moirs review is taking the piss slightly, to be polite.

Just re-read the review and not sure what you're getting at. She seems to be very straight and earnest in her appreciation of the place, indicated by the complete lack of the usual quota of gags.

Re-read it again. That's a homily, not a review...

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

As much as I enjoy Jan Moir's reviews, twice is enough for me Jon, thanks all the same. Obvioulsy my fault for not realising that "piss take" and "homily" were interchangable terms. If that's the case, I must get myself down to a church service soon - must be like going to a free stand up gig.

As much as I enjoy Jan Moir's reviews, twice is enough for me Jon, thanks all the same. Obvioulsy my fault for not realising that "piss take" and "homily" were interchangable terms. If that's the case, I must get myself down to a church service soon - must be like going to a free stand up gig.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I ate at Hix's last night and had a distinctly average evening.

The food was simple & good - a lovely mutton curry & ox cheek, runner bean salad,

However service pretty poor - they seem to confuse a number of items on the menu and got orders wrong. Even comping the food in the end.

Also Mark Hix has apparently given up cooking. Although dressed in chef whites, he spent the entire evening talk to customers & friends - Parker Bowles, Peter Gordon and that restaurant critic from The Independent.

Although I will give it another go, you get the distinct impression that unless you're a mate of Hix you get a lower level of service.

A more consistent experience is required for all, me thinks

Food was good but not exceptional.

I agree on the service - it was poor. Although it is still early days.

From aperitifs, through to extra bottles of mineral water, bottles of wine, extra glasses of wine, chocolate truffles, a jug of tap water - something was forgotten from the order and we had to work hard to catch someone's eye to remind them. This was partly because a group of floor staff stayed permanently huddled by the door chatting and keeping an eye on Ruth Rogers table and ignoring everyone else. Very frustrating! Also interesting to see the manager with his coat on at the bar drinking a glass of wine before departing at 10pm, leaving a full restaurant in flow. Might not have made such a bad impression if the service had been up to scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to like this place i really did but the sight of mark hix swanning aroung shmoozing the likes of Rocco Forte while i get shite service leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. it is hardly good value either bearing in mind all you get on the plate is a hunk of meat, once you add sides you are looking at £20-30 main courses.

i ordered "Grilled pork chop and kidney" i asked the manager what the pork came with, he looked over my shoulder at the menu and replied "a kidney" no shit sherlock!

It obviously has good reviews because mark hix obviously knows who to look after.

two starters had asparagus on but they had run out of asparagus (lunchtime) so two starters were off with no replacement when there were plates of asparagus going out all over the place in the restaurant.

i just can't see it getting any better because if mark hix can be in the room when the staff are obviously out of their depth (he was essentially serving the vips, bringing them plates of food and even wine) service is obviously not his priority or he knows nothing about it. too many chefs underate the importance of service in a restaurant or think that because they have worked with good front of house (in hix's case the best) that they can replicate it in their own restaurants.

Matt Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

The lady and I had lunch yesterday, it was cracking - a selection of oysters showed real variety in size (the Malverns were monsters), texture & flavours, the duck's egg with asparagus was beautiful; creamy duck's egg with meaty salted asparagus and lamb sweetbreads, swimming in a rich buttery broth full of fresh sweet peas was perfect. The mains of barnsley chop - pink and plump, with incredible crispy fat was to die for, whilst the skate knobs (a very generous starter size portion) were light, creamy, crispy and all in all pretty exquisite! Pudding of walnut and whiskey tart was fairly forgettable and lemon and apple sorbet tasted like one of those sparkle lollies from way back when, not in a bad way. It was a treat, and the service, which everyone has complained about was fine, not the best, but it was good enough - helpful and fairly attentive, Mark Hix was there, he seemed jolly - and only bloody Heston was eating lunch on the other side of the room.

The lady and I had lunch yesterday, it was cracking - a selection of oysters showed real variety in size (the Malverns were monsters), texture & flavours, the duck's egg with asparagus was beautiful; creamy duck's egg with meaty salted asparagus and lamb sweetbreads, swimming in a rich buttery broth full of fresh sweet peas was perfect. The mains of barnsley chop - pink and plump, with incredible crispy fat was to die for, whilst the skate knobs (a very generous starter size portion) were light, creamy, crispy and all in all pretty exquisite! Pudding of walnut and  whiskey tart was fairly forgettable and lemon and apple sorbet tasted like one of those sparkle lollies from way back when, not in a bad way. It was a treat, and the service, which everyone has complained about was fine, not the best, but it was good enough - helpful and fairly attentive, Mark Hix was there, he seemed jolly - and only bloody Heston was eating lunch on the other side of the room.

How much was it? Do they do a set lunch menu or is it ALC?

All a la carte, I think it was something along the lines of:

Oysters - £1.95 each

Duck Egg & Asparagus - About £10

Sweetbreads - About £10 possibly a bit less...?

Barnsley Chop & Grilled Kidney - About £14

Skate Knobs - £7-£10

Carrots, Peas & Bubble and Squeak - £3.50 Each

Almond & Whiskey Tart - £6.50

Sorbet - £4

2 Glasses of Reisling - £6.50 each

Glass of Sauternes - £7.50

Sorry, bit vague, I don't remember exactly, either way it all came to just over £100 with wine, water and service.

• 2 months later...

Went for Sunday lunch this weekend. This is a no choice affair, three cold starters and a traditional roast beef dinner bought out at 14:00. We arrived at 13:00 for a couple of drinks beforehand and were the first people there but only by a few minutes. I love the room and the atmosphere was friendly if a little quiet, service was friendly and easy going.

Smoked Salmon Pate was smooth and possibly not fishy enough, the smoke was a little overpowering. Rabbit brawn with peas and pea shoots was a little flavourless perhaps requiring a little more seasoning (a problem we wouldn't have later). A plate of 5 oysters were good, no idea which varieties they were and I need to eat more oysters before I can comment with any degree of authority. One smaller oyster was particularly briny and very nice.

The main courses were bought to the larger tables first on platters and the beef was looking very nicely cooked, unfortunately tables of two were served last and already plated up. The gravy was salty and over reduced with little to distinguish it. Potatoes were a bit of an abomination, very salty and is it possible they were deep fried, they were so even in colour that I fear they were :hmmm: The beef was OK, a little overcooked by the time we got it but still a little pink in the middle, they was nothing particularly special about it and I felt that it could have been hung for longer. Yorkshires were fine and it was accompanied by more peas, carrots and an unidentified green (black cabbage?).

For Dessert I actually had a forgettable cheese, well it would have been forgettable if it wasn't so bloody big. There was a nice chutney with it. Amadei chocolate mousse, was chocolate mousse.

Overall I had a lovely afternoon but more to do with the company (my other half) than the food which in hindsight was overpriced at £34.50.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"