• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jsmeeker

Tacos--Cook-Off 39

Hashed crab with capers (salpicon de jaiba con alcaparras), from Zarela’s Veracruz. This is like crab tacos a la Veracruzana, with tomatoes, onion, bay leaves, pickled jalapenos, and capers in the sauce. Served with a squeeze of lime, crumbled feta cheese, and salsa roja de chile guajillo asado, from Mexican Everyday.

gallery_42956_2536_38518.jpg

Bruce, why feta? No queso around?

Short answer: too busy/lazy for an extra trip to the Latino market.

Longer answer: before I had ready access to crumbly queso, I used feta as a substitute. Over time, I grew to like the combination of feta and Mexican flavors. :shock:

Best answer: I conducted further research at breakfast, and the crab tasted better without cheese, anyway. :biggrin:

Unfortunately I did not take pics but I did a standard ground beef meat filling with fried white corn tortillas. Because the shells were very crisp and crunchy I took green leaf lettuce and lined the shell with it before adding the meat. The taco held together and stayed crunchy all of the way through. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th tacos did not get soggy while waiting for me to eat them. It also made it look nice with a lettuce fringe bordering the edges of the taco. I also added your garden variety mexican cheese mix, chopped onions and tomatoes.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
  • Like 1

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Great idea with the lettuce. I make miniature tostadas for one of my classes, and always put a little shredded lettuce on the bottom to keep them crisp, but never thought of it for crisp tacos.

Vegan "fish" tacos with home made pico de gallo and guacamole.

The fish is strips of frozen tofu battered in chickpea flour, water, and panko and then pan-fried.

2610171052_7fdbf7ee69_o.jpg

2408418555_179ffd6bbd_o.jpg

nakedsushi.net (not so much sushi, and not exactly naked)

Reminded of it by the picadillo thread, I figured I'd dig up my go-to recipe for tacos--cobbled together based on a bunch of stuff I found online and wherever else.

I take a rump steak (skirt also works--I guess you could use an expensive cut like sirloin, too) and season it with salt, pepper, ground cumin and oregano. I then fry or barbecue it to rare or medium rare and rest it. Meanwhile, I may the 'salad' (the recipe for this was actually cobbled together from reading a blog post about a culinary tour of Mexico, if I recall correctly--can't remember the Spanish name of the preparation that inspired this) using diced tomato, diced red onion, diced cucumber, minced garlic, coriander leaves and jalapeno. The 'salad' is dressed with lime juice and extra virgin olive oil.

Stuff tortillas with some of the steak (sliced) and the 'salad'.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I posted in the tortilla thread but I realize not all of us read that far down into the forums.  I made tacos for the first time a couple nights ago but I think my masa was too dry.  I could not get the tortillas to puff or blister.  What temperatures should be used for the tortilla cooking surfaces?  I used 375 F and 450 F.

This is what my tacos looked like:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156030-dinner-2018-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=2151559

I'm about to try again with moister masa.

• Like 2

@JoNorvelleWalkerI think you will have solved your own problem with a moister dough. Since there's no leavening, the puff comes from the steam, and if you don't have enough water in the dough it makes it too stiff for the steam that's trying to escape to puff it. I do it by feel and eye now with Maseca. The more hydrated the dough is, though, the more it tends to stick and the harder it is to lay it on your griddle/comal without creasing or tearing. The trick is to lay it on, not flip it on. I did not get this part until I watched some YouTube videos.

Also yours looked a bit thick. Maybe you like them that way, but I like them a little thinner, and this will be easier to achieve with a more hydrated dough.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

31 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@JoNorvelleWalkerI think you will have solved your own problem with a moister dough. Since there's no leavening, the puff comes from the steam, and if you don't have enough water in the dough it makes it too stiff for the steam that's trying to escape to puff it. I do it by feel and eye now with Maseca. The more hydrated the dough is, though, the more it tends to stick and the harder it is to lay it on your griddle/comal without creasing or tearing. The trick is to lay it on, not flip it on. I did not get this part until I watched some YouTube videos.

Also yours looked a bit thick. Maybe you like them that way, but I like them a little thinner, and this will be easier to achieve with a more hydrated dough.

My moister masa stuck to the press and made a mess.  I formed the dough by hand and grilled it.  It tasted OK but didn't look much like a tortilla.

Most Mexican cooks I've seen line the press with plastic wrap, unpeel and then to comal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Most Mexican cooks I've seen line the press with plastic wrap, unpeel and then to comal.

But I was using plastic.  Polyscience vacuum bags to be precise.  Half the masa stuck to the bottom bag and half to the top.

The problem could be that I was reusing masa left over from the other night.  The ball was cold and hard from the refrigerator, so I crumbled it with my fingers.  Then I mixed in a bit of hot water -- a bit too much hot water -- to form a dough.

@Thanks for the Crepes with the original masa I could have pressed the tortillas thinner.  It's not a question of what thickness I like.  It was my first time and I'm not sure of what I'm doing.  I had read warnings (I'm not sure from which author, I read several, but probably Kennedy*) not to make the tortillas too thin.

*OK, I went back and checked, it was Kennedy.

I use 300 grams masa to 400 grams water and form 45 gram portions to press.  Works pretty much every time...just the right combo.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I use 300 grams masa to 400 grams water and form 45 gram portions to press.  Works pretty much every time...just the right combo.

Wow, yours is way wetter.  I used 200 grams Bob's Red Mill masa harina and 215 grams water, which is Kennedy's ratio.  And yes, I weighed them.

Mine come off the plastic very easily after pressing.  Just made a batch this week.

Also here is how I cook them....medium high heat.  30 sec one side, flip and cook 60  sec, flip cook another 30 sec pressing on top so they puff up.

this recipe is from a previous thread on tortillas.

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Mine come off the plastic very easily after pressing.  Just made a batch this week.

Also here is how I cook them....medium high heat.  30 sec one side, flip and cook 60  sec, flip cook another 30 sec pressing on top so they puff up.

this recipe is from a previous thread on tortillas.

Which thread is that?

Do you know the pan temperature when you made them?

No but I believe people use 550f

I brought the making tortilla thread forward because I am a dummy when it comes to inserting a link to a previous thread

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

61DE8B86-86BE-4D88-A326-84FEB8CD7A59.thumb.jpeg.46dcb1eb2fb7171083c7bf0295aeb6b2.jpeg

Corn Tortillas, Pork Carnitas on Cabbage Slaw, topped with Chopped Onion, Cilantro and Salsa Verde ~ with Black Bean and Corn Salad

How do you get your tortillas to hold that shape?

Never mind, I think I see.  Cheater.  Where can I buy those?

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How do you get your tortillas to hold that shape?

Never mind, I think I see.  Cheater.  Where can I buy those?

Ha! Tupperware! Bought many, many years ago - don’t know if they still offer them.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

Now that I posses a Paragon* -- an induction hotplate that can maintain a precise oil temperature, I have returned to tacos:

Tacos08262019.png

Dinner08262019.png

*OK, actually two Paragons.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

• Similar Content

• By Henga
      Hi there! I am looking for a good Mexican cookbook. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    • By newchef
      I'm trying to make a Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchilada recipe and I don't know if the tomatillo cream sauce will be freezer-friendly.     Basically I process the following ingredients in a food processor to make the cream sauce.  I plan on freezing the sauce in ice-cube trays for individual servings.  The sauce will then be thawed and spread on a baking dish and also used to top the enchiladas and cook in a 400 degree oven.   Thanks!   INGREDIENTS:   -26 ounces canned tomatillos, drained -1 onion -1/2 cup cilantro leaves -1/3 cup vegetable broth -1/4 cup heavy cream -1 tbsp vegetable oil -3 garlic cloves -1 tbsp lime juice -1 tsp sugar -1 tsp salt
    • By David Ross
      Ah, the avocado! For many of us, this humble little fruit inspires only one dish. Yet the avocado has a culinary history that is deeper than we may understand.

The avocado (Persea Americana) is a tree thought to have originated in South Central Mexico.  It’s a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae.  The fruit of the plant - yes, it's a fruit and not a vegetable - is also called avocado.

Avocados grow in tropical and warm climates throughout the world.  The season in California typically runs from February through September, but avocados from Mexico are now available year-round.

The avocado has a higher fat content than other fruits, and as such serves as an important staple in the diet of consumers who are seeking other sources of protein than meats and fatty foods.  Avocado oil has found a new customer base due to its flavor in dressings and sauces and the high smoke point is favorable when sautéing meat and seafood. 

In recent years, due in part to catchy television commercials and the influence of Pinterest, the avocado has seen a resurgence in popularity with home cooks and professionals.  Walk into your local casual spot and the menu will undoubtedly have some derivation of avocado toast, typically topped with bacon.  Avocados have found a rightful place back on fine dining menus, but unfortunately all too often over-worked dishes with too many ingredients and garnishes erase the pure taste and silky texture of an avocado. 

When I think of an avocado it’s the Hass variety.  However, a friend who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, can buy Choquette, Hall and Lulu avocados in the local markets.  This link provides good information about the different varieties of avocados, when they’re in season and the differences in taste and texture. https://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/10/18/know-your-avocado-varieties-and-when-theyre-in-season/

I for one must challenge myself to start eating and cooking more avocados.  I think my recipe for guacamole served with chicharrones is superb, and the cobb salad with large chunks of ripe avocado is delicious, but as a close friend recently said, “one person’s ‘not especially new’ is another’s “eureka moment.” Well said and as history tells us, we’ll find plenty of eureka moments as we discuss and share our tales and dishes of avocado during eG Cook-Off #81: The Avocado.

Fun fact: The name avocado derives from the Nahuatl word “ahuacatl,” which was also slang for “testicle.”
      See the complete eG Cook-Off Index here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143994-egullet-recipe-cook-off-index/
    • By Darienne
      Chile Rellenos.  Every Mexican or Mexican type restaurant we've ever been in almost, I've chosen Chile Rellenos.   I keep thinking I'll pick something different...and then I don't.  I've made them.  Once.  So much trouble.  And deep fat frying.  And of course in the Far Frozen North where we live, we've been able to get Poblanos (that's it) for only about five years now.  

Imagine my delight, the appeal to my very lazy side, to discover the following recipe just a few days ago: https://www.homesicktexan.com/2018/09/chile-relleno-casserole-el-paso-style.html  .  And yesterday I made them and served them to guests with Mexican rice and black beans.  Died and gone to heaven.

OK.  Truth time.  I used Poblanos and  I did not roast them to remove the skins.  In an electric oven, it's not a nice job.  And besides the skins have never bothered me or Ed at all.  But I did roast the Poblanos in the oven.  And then I used commercial salsa because we had one we liked.  (Did I say that I can be lazy sometimes?)  And I used Pepper Jack cheese.  Jack cheese is not always available in the small Ontario city we live outside of and pepper jack is even less common.  Buy it when you see it.  I defrosted some frozen guacamole I had in the freezer.  But by heavens the casserole was delicious and now it's on our menu permanently.

So shoot me.  But I thought I'd share my joy anyway. 
    • By jackie40503
      I lived in Phoenix AZ a total of 24 years and during that time I found what the local restaurants call a Green Chili Burro. I have also lived and worked in 48 states and the only ones who have them is either in Arizona, Western New Mexico or Southern California. I am now retired in Northwest Washington State. I have searched the internet for recipes and have found that none of them taste the same. I have also written to many Mexican restaurants and either did not receive a reply or was told that they could not give out the recipe. I am now going around to blogs/forums dealing with Mexican foods hoping that someone would have the actual recipe from one of the restaurants. Its not like I am going trying to compete with them since I live along way from those areas and only wish to serve it in my own household.