• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are there food shortages where you are?

Local supermarket (chain) had no shortage of rice when I went on Saturday. All of the regular, specialty, etc were fully stocked. In fact, some varieties were on sale.

Why can't I get over the suspicion that some of the "hysteria" over rice is self-propagating?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

No shortage here but Sam's has limited how much you can buy. I have 5 lbs that I bought back when I was experimenting with Indian food but I eat very little rice. I guess I'll vacuum pack it before it goes "buggy". Other staples such as flour, cornmeal, beans, etc seem to be in good supply. Last time I bought pinto beans they were .39/lb, I'll have to check to see if the price has gone up at all. I think the media in the U.S. is exploiting the idea of food shortages & rationing for the ratings. The higher food prices are the result of poor policy planning of our government, they should have phased in ethanol as a fuel additive over a 5 year period. Instead, they mandated it's immediate usage and now the people who could just afford fuel for their car and food for the table are paying the price. It's very sad.

Korean and Japanese rice are dwindling around here

but the prices of the Jasmin and basmati are about the same and there seems to be plenty of it

groceries in general are like gas...too high for reason ..I refuse to work more hours to buy food ...we can make do ..I will just eat less and maneuver my spending towards things that are still affordable ..there is so much free food around here ..from nettles to mushrooms to berries ...and trading/buying with friends is a given

I am glad I planted my "Victory Garden" this year it gives me a little feeling of control in all this mess ..

I am sick of the news and am on a black out ...I mean seriously the way the panic has been manipulated by the media is so obvious by the conversations I am having with patients .people are freaking out and even storing gas again like in 1979!

someone poked a hole in the local food bank truck's gas tank and stole the gas ...how bad is that anyway??????

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Ok, I just checked some food prices here in Pittsburgh, and fortunately things seem to be under control. Foie gras is still available at $39/lb as it has been for several years. Whole goose is plentiful at about $50 for a large goose, and dry aged beef is in good supply at around $20/pound for NY strips.

Ok, I just checked some food prices here in Pittsburgh, and fortunately things seem to be under control. Foie gras is still available at $39/lb as it has been for several years. Whole goose is plentiful at about $50 for a large goose, and dry aged beef is in good supply at around $20/pound for NY strips.

Good one! :biggrin:

I'm Sephardic, when I CAN eat, I need my rice!

One of my friends sent me a warning about the price of rice, with a 5 dollar bill, to cover some rice. I used the 5 dollars for gas, to get to the rice, instead, though! :laugh:

Well, my daughter and I went to the local ShopRite yesterday(our food stamps got cut off, we had some ShopRite gift cards and decided to stock up). I usually buy brown rice, but it was SO expensive compared to white rice, I just couldn't justify it. We ended up paying US$0.45 cents a pound for long grain white rice, in a 20# bag.

I can remember when I could find brown basmati for 80 cents a pound, last year, now it was $2.00 a pound. It's a California product, not organic.

We spent 70 dollars and tried our hardest to buy the most long lasting foods, beans, rice, and lots of markdown produce, most of which I prepped and stuffed into the 'tiny freezer of miracles' last night.

Our only splurges were Kiddle's organic ketchup and Kit Kats(they were on sale, and she adores candy) and Cracker Jacks- for Mommy. I'm even thinking of returning the Cracker Jacks- I could buy another pound of beans.

Has anyone noticed the prices of olive oil? I will have to buy it, eventually.

Still, I promise you, we're pretty lucky, and we know it. We eat a lot better than many people who spend lots more than us, I'm a great home cook. I can feed anyone who shows up at our door, and please them. And, I love to, so whenever I am home, feel free to come for a meal if you are ever near Englishtown, NJ! :biggrin:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06