• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofu powder

Niamh

I have just seen that my local Japanese supermarket sells this tofu powder House Tofu Has anybody tried it? I have only seen the local shop's website (not the one in the link, I included that because it has a little more info), so possibly in the actual supermarket they have fresh tofu, but I'll belive that when I see it. Around here, tofu is in short supply, so if I could have a few packets of this in the cupboard and make up halfway decent tofu when I needed it, I would be very happy! I know I could make it totally from scratch, but I'm still working up to that...

P.S. in the taste stakes, please bear in mind that I have never tasted fresh tofu in my life (sniff), so my tastebuds might be a little less demanding than your average tofu connoisseur's!

It is a bit of work, but  you should make your own tofu.  My Malaysian friend used to do it, so I know it can be done with few utensils.

I think "a bit of work" is understating it a bit. Nonetheless, there's a good tutorial for making your own tofu here. It's in 3 parts, so make sure you follow the links at the bottom of the post to parts 2 and 3.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Hrm.. are you sure that the powdered stuff you saw isn't the dessert almond tofu? That would be too different from the fresh stuff.

No... if you click the link in the original post, it's a mix of soybean powder + coagulant to make plain tofu. The package looks about the same as what was around in the early 1970s, when Japanese food wasn't popular outside Japan and fresh tofu was hard to find in stores. I used it then; would never use it now!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Well, thank you all for your input. For the record, I went up to the shop yesterday. They had no tofu made on the premises, but a small selection of the juice-box stuff, and no sign of the powder. Right by the door they had a small selection of refrigerated things, and lo and behold, fresh tofu made in Madrid!

I know tofu is made everywhere these days, but it still made me laugh to think it was actually Spanish tofu. I had this vision of two old farmers up in some tiny pueblo making it: "Hey, Juanma, what IS this stuff? No freakin' idea Pablo, but those foreigners down in Madrid will pay a fortune for it!" :biggrin: