• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornas

thirtyoneknots

So I've got a question that I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help me with. I'm a huge fan of Syrah, and the ones from the Northern Rhone in particular. I recently acquired 2 bottles of 1997 August Clape Cornas and would like to serve one at a dinner party next month. What I understand about Cornas is that it is a more traditional, Old School take on Syrah, one that typically needs more time to resolve than other appelations from the region. It seems to me that a 97 would be mature enough to enjoy, or even a tiny bit past it's prime given the vintage strength(?) What I do not know about Cornas, not actually having tasted one, is how does it differ from other N. Rhone appelations? Does it match with the same foods in the same ways? If not, what is an appropriate dish to serve with (lamb is always my first instinct for wines like this plus I like an excuse to have lamb). Does anyone have any specific serving suggestions re: decant time, etc? There will be 4-5 people drinking this after perhaps 2 other wines had as aperitifs maybe or maybe not with some small snacks.

Thanks in advance from a longtime wine forum lurker :smile:

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

First of all, the Clape should be ready now as that vintage is softer and with less concentration than others.

August Clape recommends that the 1997 be served with veal.

Aside from that, you have asked some questions that are more to personal taste - and when it comes to Cornas, I certainly have opinionst.

It is my favorite syrah wine, unsurpassed even by Hernitage or Cote Rotie. It is the more rustic edge, the more sauvage delivery and, above all else, its distinct character.

Not a wine for the cocktail set nor one that many beginning wine drinkers find at the top of their lists. It is unusual (a term which I think ost would agree with) and for that reason, I love it.

I hope you enjoy your bottles and I hope you go on to try other producers; among them, Allemand, Voge, Noel Verset, Michel and Joge. I have many wines from these guys in my cellar.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

First of all, the Clape should be ready now as that vintage is softer and with less  concentration than others.

August Clape recommends that the 1997 be served with veal.

Aside from that, you have asked some questions that are more to personal taste - and when it comes to Cornas, I certainly have opinionst.

It is my favorite syrah wine, unsurpassed even by Hernitage or Cote Rotie. It is the more rustic edge, the more sauvage delivery and, above all else, its distinct character.

Not a wine for the cocktail set nor one that many beginning wine drinkers find at the top of their lists. It is unusual (a term which I think ost would agree with) and for that reason, I love it.

I hope you enjoy your bottles and I hope you go on to try other producers; among them, Allemand, Voge, Noel Verset, Michel and Joge. I have many wines from these guys in my cellar.

Best, Jim

Thank you for the excellent insight, I know that if I can trust anyone around here about Syrah, it's you! Is there any specific preparation of veal recommended by Clape? I would imagine a grilled chop would not be a bad choice though a bit expensive, would a roast work as well?

As for tastes, the people involved are all "wine nerds" to some degree, I'm actually doing this for my boss/Sommelier at work who is getting married at the end of May. Everyone involved definitely has palates that appreciate funky Old World wines. I'm excited.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Thank you for the excellent insight, I know that if I can trust anyone around here about Syrah, it's you! Is there any specific preparation of veal recommended by Clape? I would imagine a grilled chop would not be a bad choice though a bit expensive, would a roast work as well?

I took that recommendation out of Livingstone-Learmonth's book on the the Northern Rhone and Clape did not specify any preparation for the veal. But grilling it, whether as a chop or a larger cut, surely sounds good.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I think Jim meant Juge (Marcel Juge) and not Joge, if you end up trying to locate those wines. But I'm also writing to add support for what Jim had to write about Cornas. I've had the 1997 Clape (and I have one more bottle yet). It is ready now, and you won't need much aerating time, but may need to decant for sediment.

One other tidbit: Cornas differes from a Northern Rhone appellation not yet mentioned, Cote Rotie, in that Cornas is 100% syrah and Cote Rotie wines will contain some viognier.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I think Jim meant Juge (Marcel Juge) and not Joge, if you end up trying to locate those wines.  But I'm also writing to add support for what Jim had to write about Cornas.  I've had the 1997 Clape (and I have one more bottle yet).  It is ready now, and you won't need much aerating time, but may need to decant for sediment.

One other tidbit:  Cornas differes from a Northern Rhone appellation not yet mentioned, Cote Rotie, in that Cornas is 100% syrah and Cote Rotie wines will contain some viognier.

Right, to the best of my knowledge it is the only N. Rhone AOC that does not allow the blending of some white wine (though it is rare outside of Cote-Rotie).

When decanting for sediment the standard procedure is to pour the wine off the deposit into a decanter, then rinse the bottle with (distilled?) water and funnel the wine back in to the bottle, right? Or I guess if I've got 5 people drinking off this I can just immidiately pour straight into their glasses from the decanter.

Thanks again for the help.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman