• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Listening to Sounds in Cooking

Chris Amirault

My 2 years old son banging pots and pans together?  :wacko:

You could always do what my parents did and buy him a set of drums... of course, then you'd have to put up with hearing him bang on them for the next 15 years, whereas he'll probably grow out of the pots and pans thing well before then.

Yesterday

The "ding" of the toaster happening the exact moment that the butter in the frying pan sizzles for my eggs

eggs in

toast out

flip eggs

butter toast

eggs out

90 seconds from "ding" to yum

I like snowdays

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The smoke alarm telling me that dinner is ready.

That made me laugh out loud.

Ditto!! and sooooo true!

For me, the orchestra of a professional kitchen. No talking, pans hitting the flat-top, spoons clinking on plates, the "poof" when a gas flame starts. I LOVE it all. Makes my life in a kitchen so great even on the worst days.

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

The smoke alarm telling me that dinner is ready.

That made me laugh out loud.

Ditto!! and sooooo true!

For me, the orchestra of a professional kitchen. No talking, pans hitting the flat-top, spoons clinking on plates, the "poof" when a gas flame starts. I LOVE it all. Makes my life in a kitchen so great even on the worst days.

I agree that is one of the best sounds. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

The electric water kettle - I can usually tell from the sound when it has hit one of the three most common temps for tea - 75 F, 95 F and 208 F (205 F for coffee), within 5 degrees on the low side and often closer.