• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Festival o Lights - Diwali in NYC

anil

Spicegirl,

Is there a recipe or maybe 2 that I should try from your book for a Diwali dinner?

Savory recipes please... :wink:

Well, I was going give you a list, but then decided you should try what you like!! If you really want my opinion, I would recommend the chickpea pancakes and the stuffed idlies and the anar chaat (pomegrante)

Spicegirl,

Is there a recipe or maybe 2 that I should try from your book for a Diwali dinner?

Well, I was going give you a list, but then decided you should try what you like!! If you really want my opinion, I would recommend the chickpea pancakes and the stuffed idlies and the anar chaat (pomegrante)

Do the Idlis need to sit overnight? Does your book have a short cut?

I have anars (pomegrantes) and so will certainly make that. Still planning a menu. Not sure what I will end up making... :rolleyes:

Spicegirl,

Do the Idlis need to sit overnight? Does your book have a short cut?

I have anars (pomegrantes) and so will certainly make that. Still planning a menu. Not sure what I will end up making... :rolleyes:

I am a lazy cook! So I make the easy Idlies, the MICROWAVE rules! Try the semolina idlies - easy and quick

Diwali Menu @ My Home in Village

Samosas (potatoes and peas)

Mathri (carom scented Indian semolina crackers)

Assortment of pickles and chutneys

Khatte Chane (sour chickpeas)

Achaari Aloo (potatoes in a pickling spice sauce)

Baingan Bharta (roasted eggplant, yogurt, onions, tomatoes)

Chukee Huee Matar (sauteed green peas)

Gobhi Tamatar Chutney (cauliflower sautees with Tomato Chutney)

Bhaturas (puffy Indian bread)

Tomato Pachadi (Southern Indian Raita, yogurt sauce with tomatoes and curry leaves and mustard seeds)

Makhaane Kee Kheer (Lotus Seed Pudding)

Pista Kulfi

There's been a lot on television the last few days here about Diwali. I wan't sure what it was. This was the first time I heard of it. I get television from England where there is obviously a lot of Indian people living there. Also, a lot of Brits are complaining about the fireworks-scaring the dog, etc..

Then, the description of the various foods made my mouth water. My wife and I are starting to do some Indian type of cooking and I'm interested in everything concerning the food. We can get some spices here and have been able to make some basic curries and a few other dishes.

I have done a few web pages and your web site interests me too. I want to go back and have a better look. There's probably a lot to learn there, if not about the site itself, then about the content.

I have just learned about egullet but I intend on being here often.

BlackDuff

There's been a lot on television the last few days here about Diwali. I wan't sure what it was. This was the first time I heard of it. I get television from England where there is obviously a lot of Indian people living there. Also, a lot of Brits are complaining about the fireworks-scaring the dog, etc..

Then, the description of the various foods made my mouth water. My wife and I are starting to do some Indian type of cooking and I'm interested in everything concerning the food. We can get some spices here and have been able to make some basic curries and a few other dishes.

I have done a few web pages and your web site interests me too. I want to go back and have a better look. There's probably a lot to learn there, if not about the site itself, then about the content.

I have just learned about egullet but I intend on being here often.

BlackDuff

You may find even more information on Indian cooking right here in the Indian forum of eGullet. We have members with great knowledge of the cuisine. Your questions will find quick and often mostly reliable answers.

My pets would be scared around Diwali. The fireworks would frighten them. :sad:

But there is so much more to Diwali than firewords. I look at it as a festival to celebrate our ability to go from darkness to lightness.

PS: What part of the world are you posting from? If I am being too curious please ignore my question. Thanks. :smile:

I live in Southern France right near the border with Spain. I'm a bike ride away from the Mediterranean. My village is in the Pyrenees and I can see Spain from my living room.

Here's a link to a web site I'm working on now.

http://michael.macdonald.free.fr/

It shows some of this area. My village is listed-Sorede.

The site is not commercially operational right now so there's no conflict in posting the URL.

We have some ethnic restaurants but mostly this is French Catalan country. It's a nice area though. The snow stays in the mountains and the skiing is good in the winter. The wine is good, plentiful, and very cheap. That's a good combination.

BlackDuff

Your village looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing the link.

What got you to try Indian cooking? How did this come about?

What kind of experience do you have with Indian cooking?

What are your favorite spices?

Your village seems most beautiful and precious. I am envious of you.

Suvir

I've eaten Indian food over many years. I guess that I've always liked hot and spicy foods and this was sort of included.

I've worked all over the world and that means I've eaten in lots of different types of restaurants. Indian food usually will be on a menu at some of these places. Taiwan had a lot of Indian food. I found a lot in Korea too. Certainly all over Europe, and England especially, has a lot of Indian food.

A friend here got me started doing the food myself at home. I bought a lot of the spices while I was travelling and loaded up my cupboards. I grind my own spices and have a friend here who imports and sells spices. He can get me most anything.

Lately I've diverted my interest to Thai cooking. I make Thai types of curries about twice per week. I'm on a diet and the Thai cooking is helping to keep me slimmer. The Indian dishes had too much oil or ghee to consider dietetic.

I bought a book on Indian cooking: "The Curry Secret" by Kris Dhillon. This has helped me to do a lot of basic stuff. I get a lot of ideas from the internet too.

My wife is not a very willing partner for hot, spicy food. She likes the taste but does not want to make anything too hot. I'm starting to tone down the heat so she'll be able to eat with me.

Food is an adventure for me now. I just have to watch my weight to make sure I don't get too chunky sampling all of these dishes.

BlackDuff

I grind my own spices and have a friend here who imports and sells spices. He can get me most anything.

Wise man you are. Gringing your own spices... you are doing what is best.

Also whole spices keep fresher longer... so this is the best way to store them. And griding them fresh as you need them, makes sure your dishes get the most heightened flavor.... You certainly are a natural cook. :smile:

• 11 months later...

What is everyone planning for Diwali?

What is unique in your mind about Diwali?

How did your family celebrate it differently?

What foods do you all prepare during the time leading to Diwali?

Who makes these foods? WHat items are made at home? What are bought from halwais?

Please share.... :smile:

I shall only do puja, since I lost both my grandmas this year..... but would be delighted to enjoy Diwali through all your experiences. :smile:

Wow Suvir, that menu sounds amazing...But I've never tried Makhanee kee Kheer...I'm attending a potluck and making Aarchari Bangaan and Gagar Ka Halva...Would love to hear more about the kheer though, thats one of my favorites!

Happy Diwali everyone! It's going to be hectic over the next few days, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to post. Got guests coming too over the weekend. I was just wondering if anyone else celebrates the custom of eating fish during Diwali. We wouldn't dream of touching anything non-veg. on other religious holidays, but during Diwali fish (no chicken or meat) is a must. I know Bengalis consider fish vegetarian, so they would probably eat it and that Andhrites (some of those I know anyway) also follow this custom. Anyone know the reason behind this?

Have a joyous one. Sorry about your grandmas Suvir.

Suman

• 1 year later...