• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dupont restaurants

John S.

I have looked in the merged thread and can't find much about Red Sage, a Mark Miller I have wanted to visit for years.

We're going to have more time to spend out there this time because we have taken sufficient time off to attend my daughter's graduation from AU.

My wife and I will host 4 different dinners (and some brunches) around DC and Sterling/Centreville.

I want to go to Red Sage but can't find out much because they don't have a web site, and nothing much in the threads here. So, how do you DC eGulleteers view Red Sage?

Next, I want a good traditional Southern place (Hitching Post?) for one night.

Any help would be much appreciated (we're leaving on May 6).

THANKS!

I think your geography is a bit off: even when it was open, Red Sage wasn't in the Dupont Circle neighborhood. If you're in Dupont, you might want to check in with the Tabard Inn, a consistent if not brilliant performer for many years, and possessed both of a back patio and several smaller rooms that afford charming surroundings. Also, Montsouris, if bistro fare floats your boat.

I would be very leery of bringing any guest to the Hitching Post who can't sit, without a menu, for an hour, sipping a Seagram's and tonic and listening to Marvin Gaye on the juke for 45 minutes, and then decide "the heck with it" and go somewhere else. The kitchen is run by an older lady (the owner) and when she gets backed up, there's nothing you can really do or say to speed things up, and it would be rude to try.

Though, if you're planning to get there early, likely worth the risk.

Georgia Brown's has lost some of its luster, but remains a bastion of Southern cuisine in town.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Nice article in the Post this morning about brunch options here.

In brief...

Penn Quarter: Oyamel, Poste, (they should have mentioned Cafe Atlantico, too)

Logan: Morrison-Clark,

Georgetown: Martins (serious old school and history: JFK proposed there, I was served my first beer there)

Cleveland Park: Ardeo

Not mentioned but should have been in Dupont: The Tabard Inn (call early to request the patio or one of their smaller rooms -- Charm City, for sure).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Red Sage closed last (?) year.

Hitching Post is great, when they are on, but service can be very slow.

No, I had no idea. I guess I missed out on that although I heard that Red Sage is (was) not one of his best places. Thanks HJS.