• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading to Disneyland and San Diego

aidensnd2

The family and I are heading down to southern California for a week at Disneyland and some time in San Diego. I'm hoping to get some good recommendations for family friendly places to eat. Nothing chainy, perhaps some Italian, wood fired pizza, Chinese, Japanese, bakeries, dessert places etc.. The kids are well behaved in restaurants and we like good food so I suppose family friendly more in the way of not too expensive or fancy schmancy. I'm a pastry chef so good desserts are always appreciated...

Any help would be great as we have no clue about the food scene down there.

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

When in San Diego, where will you be based,

and how long (time) are you willing to travel for food?

I like Andiamo in Tierra Santa for Italian, and they do pizza too. Very family friendly, casual clothes just fine, but a nice place for a grownup celebration meal as well. They straddle the line very gracefully. This is where I first had gnocchi with browned butter and sage. The current menu is here:Andiamo Menu.

Tierra Santa is aneighborhood a few miles east of San Diego proper - maybe 15-20 minutes drive time from downtown.

If you search Kalypso's posts, you'll find chapter and verse on the best Mexican food in the area.

On the days you go to Disneyland, you might try for reservations within the park at the Blue Bayou (or whatever its called), for one lunch or dinner. Its located within the Pirates of the Caribbean ride so its got a pretty high cool-factor for kids. I've never actually eaten there :sad:, but someone did a report on it not too long ago. I plan to make it part of our day when we take the little one eventually.

Also in the park, if its still open (was remodeling on my last visit) is the Golden Horse Shoe saloon. They do burgers etc, and its a fun place to watch a show and eat lunch. The show is slapstick and melodrama. I dont know if they do reservations, if not - show up early and eat early. It used to get a grand great line outside that kinda spoiled things if one was really hungry.

Outside the park itself, a number of us enjoy the Blue Agave in Yorba Linda. That's about a 20-30 min drive from Dland, depending on traffic.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

We were just in Disneyland for our 26th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time, Blue Bayou in the park is nice for a meal. I would recommend a meal at Napa Rose at the Grand Californian, excellent food and service, we dined here after our day in the park before heading over to Laguna Beach for 3 nights.

There is also a great place in New Orleans Square called the New Orleans Cafe where had lunch, very yummy Monte Cristo sandwiches. Love the Mint Juleps here, also! :)

When we were in San Diego for our anniversary, we stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado, we enjoyed the Sheerwater there for lunch and breakfast, the views are gorgeous from the outdoor area there and it is right on the ocean. The more forml venue is called 1500 Ocean and was very good.

Also in Coronado, if you like Mexican food, Miguel's Cocina is excellent, love their Warm Churros and Mexican Creme Brulee here. It is located in the heart of the courtyard at the El Cordova Hotel, across from the Hotel Del.

In La Jolla, George's California Modern is very good, the Crab Catcher also some great clam chowder with pretty views from their outdoor area there. :)

Whatever you do, don't go to Mas, the Chinese-Muslim restaurant, in Anaheim. When I ate there, I was shunned and treated terribly because I evidently wasn't the customer base they were going after. And, the food was just okay, although their bread was pretty good, albeit greasy.