• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mazarin mold/forms

Peggylicious26

What is mazarin?

I went on a search for marzipan molds which were easy to find online, then I realized that wasn't what you were looking for.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I remember an older cousin in my husband's family making what I thought she called "marzarine" - a short pastry dough with an almond filling (like almond paste). She gave me her recipe, and basically, she rolled the dough into a rectangle and then put the filling in, and brought the two long sides up to the filling. I can't remember if she covered the filling or left it exposed. Then I think there was a glaze drizzled over it after baking.

I did a search for dutch almond roll (the family was Dutch) and found something on cooks.com called swedish mazarins. For individual servings, they call for muffin tins so maybe you don't need a specialized form to make these.

I've been dissing The Pastry Chef's Companion in the Cookbooks & References forum, so let's put it to the test. From PCC:

There is no listing for Mazarin.

However, there is Mazarek/mazurek: A Polish pastry with a soft, shortbread-like texture topped with almonds or walnuts and decorated with fruit, jam or colorful icing. Traditionally made for Easter.

That's the only possibility that starts with "M" so sorry but it must not exist :raz: Glad I could be of assistance :wink:

Mazarins, according to the "The Professional Pastry Chef, Third Edition" by Bo Friberg:

Mazarins are popular in most Scandinavian pastry shops, especially in Sweden where they are referred to as a "man's pastry" because they are not too fancy or fussy.

Traditional mazarin pans are small, round, plain, (not fluted) forms, about 1 1/4 inches high and 2 1/2 inches across the top, sloping down to about 1 1/2 inches across the bottom.

Mazarin filling is almost exactly like frangipane.

The forms are lined with a short dough crust, and the filling is piped in almost to the top. After baking, the tops are brushed with apricot glaze, then when cool, a simple icing of powdered sugar and water is applied by dipping the tops of the pastries in the icing, then removing the excess with a spatula.

:smile:

Here is the closest I could find to size and shape as far as a mold for the mazarins.....

Edited by chefpeon (log)

For "mazarines", you can use small tart pans. This recipe uses a short dough as well, an almond paste filling, and sugar topping. I am told you can also use those little round disposable foil baking tins.

• 3 weeks later...