• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Wing Dilemma

FoodMuse

Hello Friends,

I have 1lb of chicken wings to cook in the next day or so, BUT I'm not eating sugar and all the recipes that are looking good are sticky sweet and off limits.

Likes: crispy, crunchy, salty, spicy. Would prefer to keep to top of the stove cooking.

Likes, but not allowed right now: sticky honey, brown sugar and soy coated wing goodness. Oh damn. Please help.

Buffalo wings are the obvious choice, but thought I'd see what you genius' come up with. :smile:

Best,

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I did do a search before posting. I swear. :biggrin:

but just found this great thread.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...l=chicken+wings

Grace

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I did wings for my step mom on Easter. She likes lots of crunch. Simply salted with seasoned salt and baked till skin was crispy and meat was super tender. My son, being used to the sweet gloppy sauces was a little confused , but he ended up eating quite a few, and s-mom was delighted.

This suggestion is so retro it just might qualify as cool....marinate in bottled italian dressing. Or, if that's impossibly common & processed (or too loaded with corn syrup--some bottled dressings have quite a bit), make your own italian vinagrette, sans sugar. Bake or grill until done & slightly crispy. Another extremely tasty alternative is fresh lime juice, vietnamese fish sauce, a bit of oil, and beaucoup black pepper. It is shockingly simply, but way more than the sum of its parts. I use it all the time on boneless thighs, and it packs on the flavor even with a very short marinating time (~30 minutes).

This requires some equipment, so might not work for you, but chicken wings are ideal for a stovetop smoker. Apply a spice rub and let sit for a day or two, then smoke them for around 30 minutes. Finish them under the broiler to crisp them up.

I've been cooking wings this way a lot; it's easy, neat, tasty, and healthier than deep-frying. The wings are pretty addictive.

Make Mojo chicken wings

make a toss together marinade of the following easy and nice and sticky with out the sugar

olive oil

sour orange juice (or half lemon half lime juice)

fresh squeezed garlic to taste (I like a LOT)

oregano

salt and fresh cracked pepper

bag them overnight then bake longer than you think that you should at 450 turning them in the marinade until they absorb the liquid and are all sticky and wonderful

enjoy!

these are great on a low long grill as well

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

The recipe that I posted on that thread you linked doesn't have sugar, it's a powerfully flavored Asian style non-sweet teryaki.

Or, for spicy, buy or make some good jerk seasoning, the wet paste kind, add in a splash of lime juice and olive oil, marinate overnight and grill low and slow. That's our favorite grilling method.

Last night I ended up deepfrying them after hitting it with a paprika, black pepper, salt rub. Not bad, but I always regret frying and having all that oil to cleanup. What a pain.

I'm going to pickup more wings at the market later to marinate overnight. I'm obsessed now. I need more wings. The recipes you guys posted are great!

The mojo wings sound so good. I'll have to see if I can find any sour oranges.

@andrew fenten I blame you for adding to my kitchen wish list. Demeyere 5-Ply Stovetop Smoker http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/126234.do This looks like a fun toy.

The Italian dressing suggestion reminded me of the time I bagged 4 lbs of chicken parts for a camping trip in Ziploc bags with 2 bottles worth of dressing only to have one bag open in transit to camp site. Every thing, drinks, etc was coated but the time we opened up the cooler. The cold water hookup wasn't up to the task of removing all the dressing smell so everytime we opened a drink you smelled dressing. By the end of the trip we couldn't wash the smell off our hands. :laugh:

Sony Awesome links!

Any more Thai type marinades? I love fish sauce. or maybe Vietnamese.

I made my own Jerk seasoning last year that was so aweful I've been leary of trying again.

Grace

www.fearlesscooking.tv

Grace you can buy the juice in a bottle in any Hispanic market and in most grocers have it in the Hispanic section here where I live

it is very good stuff to have on hand..of course if you can get the fresh sour oranges then even better! but I cant here so I use the bottled juice

Piglet 

hummingbirdkiss

Thanks I'm in Brooklyn, Hispanic markets blocks away.

Also, I clicked through your siggy link and saw your flickr page. My friend Eric does a gardening and food video podcast you might like. http://www.gardenfork.tv

Edited by FoodMuse (log)

www.fearlesscooking.tv

andrew fenten I blame you for adding to my kitchen wish list. Demeyere 5-Ply Stovetop Smoker  http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/126234.do    This looks like a fun toy.

Stovetop smoking is a great technique for lots of different foods; there are a couple of threads on it around. It's especially good for urbanites and apartment dwellers without the outdoor space for a big smoker. I don't know that Sur La Table product, but you might take a look at the Cameron smoker. It's half the price, and is larger: I can smoke a brisket or pork shoulder in mine, though it really works best for salmon or chicken.

I made a modified version of Basque Chicken Wings from Thrill of the Grill the other night that might fit the bill:

Juice from 1 lemon

3 tbsp minced herbs (basil, chives, cilantro, thyme)

1 minced chipotle pepper (the canned in adobo kind)

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

kosher salt and pepper

Make a paste of everything except the lemon juice, then mix it into the juice.

Grill your wings to desired doneness ('tho next time I'll fry mine, I think) and toss with the sauce.

Yummy, sour, spicy goodness--no sugar to speak of.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

hummingbirdkiss

Thanks I'm in Brooklyn, Hispanic markets blocks away.

Also, I clicked through your siggy link and saw your flickr page. My friend Eric does a gardening and food video podcast you might like. http://www.gardenfork.tv

OT Thanks I am checking it out now!!!

thank you so much for noticing ...I have so much space and no money but it is such an ongoing labor of love and peace for me right now...I am going to update the pics soon ..everything is growing like crazy now!

check out any Hispanic market and just ask how to make some Mojo (pronounced MoHo) style chicken ...if it is a Cuban or Puerto Rican market they will hook you up with various recipes to include some that may even have soy sauce in them! none should have sugar and if they do just omit it because you sure do not need it

thanks again for the link

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet