• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

a truly odd cookie--durian flavored

zoe b

we went to the Asian Grocer today--stocking up, but we always have to get some fun snacks and treats--the hub got two packages of wafer cookies--you know, thin crispy wafers with a creamy filling.

He thought he got lemon cookies--when he opened the package there was a god-awful stink--I looked at the photo on the wrapping and there it was--durian.

I've never had the nerve to try durian, but these cookies are bizarre--they smell like rotten onions, only worse, and they taste the same--and the taste stays in your mouth, and returns when you have a drink of something.

In conjunction with the crispyness and the sweetness of the filling --just indescribable.

I'm sure that actual durians are extremely complex in flavor as well as scent, but this artificial approximation of durian is just stinky

Maybe if I grew up loving durian, I'd love these cookies--does anyone here get a yen for them?

Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

Nope.

Of all the faked fruit flavors out there, I think durian's the worst and I actually eat the real thing.

that's what is so awful--any fakey fruit flavor is pretty nasty, but these are truly terrible.

Even in a zip lock bag I could still smell them--finally, Bob gave them to the chickens--we''l see if they affect the eggs!

Z

• 3 months later...
You have to report back!

hah! Sorry i forgot about this post=--no, didn't affect the eggs as far as i could tell.

I swear i can summon up that gag-making taste in my mouth just thinking about those cookies--

and it does truly surpass fake banana as the worst faux flavoring I can think of.

Z