• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

how to cook grass fed beef

aliénor

i bought a standing rib roast from a locally raised grass fed beef. now i am wondering how to properly cook it. the reason that i am hesitant to commit to cooking this piece of meat is that i have already grilled a steak from this animal and we found it very chewy, hard to slice and were disappointed at the lack of juiciness. we had hoped to get a succulent flavorful piece and instead found it lacking in most of the aspects we desire in a steak. so rather than do up the standing rib roast i will put it to you egulleters to help me make the most of this piece of meat.

i know you can help me to enjoy this locally raised meat.

thanks

Grass-fed is generally more lean, which is why I tend to stick with naturally fattier cuts (such as rib-eye--okay, who am I kidding? I always choose rib eye. But the point still stands). You don't want to choose a cut that naturally lean because you'll get a chewier piece. I suspect that you won't have as much of a problem with your rib roast as you did with the grilled steak.

Totally agree with Peggy here!

I would add that sometimes grass fed beef can be a bit older than industrial beef, especially when raised on a hobby farm. This is both a blessing and a problem in that older animal tend to taste better but the meat is tougher. For stews, this is perfect but for steak less so.

Trick for better steaks when using a less tender animal:

- Very thick steaks, seared quickly and then very slowly cooked to rare or medium rare in a low oven. (I prefer a pan to a grill but I get a second pan for the oven so that the residual strong heat of the pan does not affect the slower cooking in the oven)

- Fat: do not trim the fat before cooking (after, in your plate, is way better), add butter on top of steak (e.g. blue cheese butter).

- Buy fresh since freezing breaks cell walls and release moisture

- Dry aged steak, although dryer before cooking, tend to remain quite moist

That's all I can think of. And kudos for chosing grass fed!

I get wonderful grass fed, dry aged beef from Aldersprings Ranch in Idaho. They give some suggestions for cooking it, maybe even on their web site. The one I particularly note is that it usually requires less cooking time than feedlot beef. I have not cooked one of their roasts yet but have cooked rib eyes several times and short ribs a couple of times. With the steaks, I brown in a pan on the stove and finish in the oven, checking about every minute to make sure I don't overcook. The short ribs of course were cooked in liquid, so no problem there. Now that my husband and I have grown accustomed to the grass fed flavor, we like it better.

If the meat isnt aged you can do that at home quite nicely

Place the meat on a cooling rack over a plate....then cover with a big bowl and refrigerate a few days, or more

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association