• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO chocolate fillings that set quickly

WhiteTruffleGirl

Hi all,

I realize it's been a very long while since I posted (or read the board, for that matter). I've been exceedingly busy since I moved last year...

But I have a need to make some fresh chocolates this afternoon, and I need your help. What are your favorite chocolates where the filling sets up FAST. (They are for a party this evening.) I'm feeling a little brain dead beyond my obvious candidates (fruit ganaches).

Ideas?

for chocolates in a hurry, i prefer things like bark or rochers. i usually keep feuilletine on hand for just that purpose. i can use the feuilletine, toss in some toasted almonds or toasted coconut and use milk, white or dark chocolate and make very nice rochers in a short amount of time. people love them and when made with white chocolate they are sort of like high-end rice crispy treats.

i don't really like making molded chocolates when i'm in a hurry. of course, you could always make hand rolled truffles and if you're not worried about a tempered exterior you can roll them in all kinds of things where the exterior chocolate doesn't have to be tempered (i.e. cocoa, 10x, toasted chopped nuts, etc).

I second the bark suggestion. I make almond bark frequently and with white chocolate I'll add freeze dried strawberry slices for a strawberry bark.

Also making some little solid pieces like mendiants or caraques where you add a bit of essential oil to the chocolate before molding. One of my favorites is white chocolate with oil of bergamot and black pepper.

The ultimate quickie would be dark chocolate truffles tossed in cocoa I guess...

Since they won't be coated in tempered chocolate, I suggest than you up the chocolate amount in the ganache, just in case it melts into a flat blob. Coat it in cocoa....nuts...the usual, I guess! :o)

Another option would be to flavor dark/milk/white choc with whatever pure oils you have and pour it into poly carbonate molds after tempering it. That way you would have a chocolate which doesn't have a filling, but is flavored through-out instead.

I know it's too late to help the original poster (what did you decide to make, WhiteTruffleGirl?), but the topic itself is interesting... somehow chocolates end up being a particularly interesting "dessert" item after a big meal, I think, because you can have just one or two with a cup of coffee, instead of a big pastry or whatnot, and when planing a dinner party, time is always short.

I think the untempered-coating for truffles idea is a good one: the March 2008 issue of Fine Cooking has a few pages dedicated to a simple ganache, and one of the things they do with it is make truffles. They talk about a few variations on the theme like adding liqueur, mexican chocolate, mint, etc., and show how to roll them, etc. Of course, nothing so fancy as what Greweling and Shotts are doing, but I bet they would make a pretty impressive dessert layout at a dinner party, and would take a lot less time to make then a complex pastry or plated dessert, or even a cake.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For quick truffles, just make "Dirty Truffles". Make a batch of dark ganache like Kahlua and dont dip them, just roll in equal parts cocoa powder and instant coffee (I like Medaglia D'oro Instant Espresso.)

Another fun one is dark ganache with wasabe. Roll in 2 parts cocoa powder and 1 part powdered Ginger. If you have any 23k gold dust mix in some of that for interest.

Get creative with the dry coatings, nuts, cocoanut, potaote chip crumbs or black pepper.

PS. Put the ganache in a glass 9X9 and put it in the fridge for an hour or so. Then scoop out and roll, coat with powder coating, Done! :biggrin:

Edited by Theo_Bromine (log)