• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thelma's Barbecue

Jay Francis

It's been a while since I've been to Thelma's for barbecue, maybe a year and a half. I pick up a pound of brisket to go. In the past it always seemed like I was getting more than a pound of barbecue. Today, I drove straight home and weighed the order. It came in at one pound and 10 ounces! Best deal in town, $10 for more than a pound of excellent barbecue. But could someone please tell Thelma that she needs to replace her scale for a more accurate one?

Wow, lucky you! We tend to have the opposite situation in this area, namely that a lot of so-called sandwich joints are too busy ACCURATELY WEIGHING the meat for each sandwich, methodically removing slivers of meat to make sure you don't get one fraction of an ounce more than you deserve! :laugh:

I think I've seen that restaurant profiled, maybe on a Bobby Flay show. Is she the one who grabs a huge fistful of brisket for each sandwich, with so much meat the bread doesn't stand a chance?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Thelma's is the only place where I enjoy eating catfish. I don't know if she soaks it in buttermilk to get rid of the muddy taste but it always tastes really clean. And the cornmeal crust is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
I was back at Thelma's for anouther "pound of brisket" to go.  This time the order weighed in at 1 pound and 12 ounces. And my scale is accurate.

I finally stopped at Thelma's for lunch per this thread last week. I am glad it is close to work because eating there is not an option. Talk about a 'hole in the wall' with no A/C!! that place was warm. I picked up a catfish sandwich to go and ate it at my desk. I certainly do agree, this is one big and very tasty non-muddy sandwich. I'd like to stop by again and get some brisket. I tried the pecan pie on a whim as well...nothing special.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

You're right. Her home-made desserts aren't anything to rave about. I usually pick up my brisket and leave the sauce. I like to make a home sauce with (South African) All Gold cane sugar ketchup and Vietnamese Sriracha hot sauce to go with the brisket.

• 2 weeks later...

i stopped in there for lunch last week. i got there around 1. i got the 2 meat dinner for $8.50. from the houston press reviews i expected the brisket to be so tender it was falling apart. it was not, but it was still pretty good and my lunch came with a ridiculous amount of it. however, the ribs really impressed me. they were very meaty and fell off the bone after a few bites. the dirty rice was good, the smashed potato salad a little too sweet for my taste, but i still ate it.

i ate almost exactly half of my lunch and took the rest to go. i ate the leftovers over the course of the next 3 days.

anyone know what's up with her sweet tea? it was ridiculously sweet and had a strange aftertaste. maybe from lemon juice from concentrate? also, thelma who was behind the counter that day was not very nice.

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937