• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quickbreads and waiting to bake?

CRUZMISL

Hi,

I am making some cinnamon rolls that use baking powder as leavening instead of yeast. Can I assemble the rolls, leave them on the counter and bake them in a few hours with no ill effects? I'm not sure if there any leavening occurs once mixed.

Thanks,

Joe

I assume you are using commercial, double-acting baking powder? The "double-acting" bit refers to the fact that you will get some of the rise immediately, when the powder is first mixed with liquid, and another bit later, when it is exposed to the high heat of the oven. So, in delaying the baking you are essentially eliminating, or at least greatly reducing, the effect of the first rise. Baking immediately helps set the bubbles into the batter before they can rise up and out. So you will probably see markedly less well-risen rolls if you delay the baking. A better strategy is to mix together the wet ingredients separately from the dry and then only mix them together when you are ready to bake.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

i wouldn't leave them on the counter, but you can refrigerate the batter for a bit. baking powder batters are much more forgiving (due to reasons Chris states above) than baking soda batters (which only have the single reaction of acid and soda).