• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shellfish Allergy Questions

markk

I have a friend who knows he is allergic to "shellfish", and knows from experience that he cannot eat shrimp or lobster. However, he can and does eat mussels. So the first question is, will he be able to eat clams, and the second question is, does anybody have way to explain what he can and cannot eat (i.e. which things fall into the same category as shrimp and lobster).

Thanks !!!!!!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

According to this site, shrimp and lobster belong to the crustacean family whereas clams and mussels belong to the mollusk family. One may or may not be allergic to both:

Shrimp along with crayfish, crabs and lobsters are crustaceans. Food allergy to crustaceans is relatively common, symptoms ranging from mild oral allergy to severe symptoms such as anaphylaxis. Cooking does not remove the allergen. Crustacea are the third most important cause of food induced anaphylaxis after peanuts and tree nuts (cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.). Thus crustacea and products thereof are listed in annex IIIa of the EU directive on labelling of foods and must be labelled when used as ingredients in pre-packaged food.

Most allergy to crustacea seems to involve a muscles protein called tropomyosin, which is very similar in a wide range of crustacean foods. As a result someone with allergy to tropomyosin from one kind of crustacean is likely to react to others. Thus individuals with allergy to one kind of crustacean are usually advised to avoid all types of crustacean foods.

In addition, some individuals with allergies to insects such as cockroach or moths can suffer food allergy to crustacean foods. Whilst most individuals with allergy to shrimps (crustacea) can tolerate molluscs, individuals with allergy to both types of shellfish have been reported. However, individuals allergic to finfish (such as cod or salmon) do not generally have allergies to shellfish.

Edited by abooja (log)

I have a friend who knows he is allergic to "shellfish", and knows from experience that he cannot eat shrimp or lobster.  However, he can and does eat mussels.  So the first question is, will he be able to eat clams, and the second question is, does anybody have way to explain what he can and cannot eat (i.e. which things fall into the same category as shrimp and lobster).

Thanks !!!!!!

This isn't really going to help you understand, but I'm happy to offer it anyways--Shrimp is a fairly common allergy, though often those people can eat lobsters as well. Our executive chef is allergic only to shrimp and nothing else, but we have a supervisor who is allergic to both shrimp and lobster.

My mother is deathly allergic to mussels (and abalone) but can happily eat clams, oysters, shrimp, lobster etc.

So basically, I'm saying that I think these things are pretty specific, but it is not something that is easily categorized...

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

I had a reaction to crab and had a body rash and bad hand itching. I can eat shrimp, lobster and all mollusks that I know of without reaction. I am temped to try fresh crab since my reaction involved Phillips canned crab but too scared that any further reaction my make me more sensitive and the thought of cross sensitivity really scares me.

this person should always carry an epi pen ..I am a nurse work ER and urgent care and I am also allergy credentialed ...and my husband can and can not eat some and some not shellfish and fish

sometimes you just never know!

epi pen and liquid benadryl ..and a huge sense of risk taking behavior!

good luck

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

If you've had a serious allergic reaction to any food, you should get yourself tested by an allergist.

Besides the skin tests for allergens, if you test negative, they can do a test where you actually eat a bit of the food you suspect you're allergic to while you're sitting in the doctor's office with someone watching you, Epi-pen at hand in case you have a bad reaction.

But don't fool around with allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, or shellfish. They can prove fatal.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

He should not experiment on his own. In fact, he should get an appointment with an allergist asap. Even if he has not had an anaphalactic reaction as yet, it could happen the next time. My nephew went into anaphalactic shock from shrimp...the second time he ate them. It was extremely frightening. After testing it turns out that he is allergic to crabs and lobster also. All other fish/shellfish are fine. But, everyone is different, so your friend should definitely make the allergist appointment. Why take a chance?

He should not experiment on his own.  In fact, he should get an appointment with an allergist asap.  Even if he has not had an anaphalactic reaction as yet, it could happen the next time.  My nephew went into anaphalactic shock from shrimp...the second time he ate them.  It was extremely frightening.  After testing it turns out that he is allergic to crabs and lobster also.  All other fish/shellfish are fine.  But, everyone is different, so your friend should definitely make the allergist appointment.  Why take a chance?

exactly his throat could close and he could die

Piglet 

I am a chef that is allergic to bell peppers. Yep the thing that graces 90% of things. An allergy skin test and then they take it a little further and then inject you - it sucks! But it does define it! You need to tell that person to identify it or it can kill you. Benadryl is hard to get down when you throat closes - EpiPens are a necessity - I carry them everywhere, just in case - I am very careful. most insuraces will cover the entire cost even though they are about 20$ or were...There is an online food allergy site and a lady in California was very helpful to me - I will try to find...

I have an allergy to ocean fish and many shellfish which is related to the iodine they concentrate.

Many years ago I had a severe reaction to an IV injection for a test because it contained an iodide salt.

I do carry an Epipen always, I have extras, just in case.

Several years ago I tried taking glucosamine condroitan as recommended by my doctor, for arthritis. I had a reaction to it because that particular compound contained a product made from shellfish, however there was no reference to shellfish on the label.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

facinating. You never know anymore what compounds are in things. Good for one is bad for another. How long did it take to pin down your specific reactions to shellfish and how long did it take for them to realize that the compound was in there even though not listed

facinating.  You never know anymore what compounds are in things.  Good for one is bad for another.  How long did it take to pin down your specific reactions to shellfish and how long did it take for them to realize that the compound was in there even though not listed

I began having fairly minor reactions, hoarseness, a little wheezing. Since I was taking several medications for other problems my doctors pooled their ideas and began taking me off first one med and then another.

When it was narrowed down to the glucosamine/con., my allergist got the specs on the particular brand I took and found the one compound that could be traced back to a shellfish component. (I don't remember the exact details.)

Several companies changed their formulas to remove that particular item. However, I never tried the stuff again, although I think it had lessened my arthritic complaints, because I simply did not want to take any chances.

There are many medications that specifically state that one should not take them if one has an allergy to shellfish. Anyone who does should make sure their pharmacist knows this before having a prescription filled.

I also cannot take calcium supplements that are made from oyster shell or coral, although the symptoms are very mild. With my hyper-reactive system, mild symptoms can morph into severe ones. This happened to me many, many years ago with alcohol.

Allergies can be very tricky to isolate and to treat.

My daughter is allergic to corn and has to carefully read the label of everything because corn products seem to be in a huge number of foods.

What is really strange is that I have no problem with caviar and of course freshwater fish is no problem at all.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My husband can eat oysters, mussels, shrimp and crabs but can not even kiss me after I eat clams any clams

he reacts badly to farm raised and fresh water fish but not ocean caught ...tilapia is the absolute worse!!!!

I dont look for reasons because for me it is life or death

I just cringe every time he takes a bite of any fish ..but we carry liquid benadryl and an epi pen and one cough or flush he gets both and I yell at him!!!

one time in Palm Springs he had a reaction to something he ate ..I was like "where is your epi pen?" he said in the hotel ..I ran into a grocery store grabbed an epi inhaler (Primatine) and a bottle of liquid benadryl off the shelf ...screamed "I swear I will be back to pay for this!!" and hit him hard with both in the parking lot ...thank goodness it was not a full blown reaction ..I gave him a good wack and a "what the hell is the matter with you not carrying that pen!!!" and he has carried that pen since

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

that cool - I meanI was not aware that as many people had reations to things like I do.  EpiPens are awesome

As are "MedicAlert" tags.

I wear one on my wrist and another around my neck. I am allergic to local anesthetics and have a horrible fear of having a heart attack and having an EMT start an IV drip with lidocaine (a routine procedure). The heart attack might not kill me but the lidocaine would. :blink:

I have several extras in case I lose one.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I wear one on my wrist and another around my neck.  I am allergic to local anesthetics and have a horrible fear of having a heart attack and having an EMT start an IV drip with lidocaine (a routine procedure).  The heart attack might not kill me but the lidocaine would.  :blink:

I have several extras in case I lose one.

Local anaesthetic allergies truly suck - particularly if you handle knives. I recall the last patient I sewed up with a local anaesthetic allergy - it was torture for both of us. I don't enjoy inflicting pain.

My 10 year old is allergic to crustaceans and cephalopods... we've been avoiding mollusks just to be on the safe side. He's also allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame and coconut, so yeah, we carry epi-pens and benadryl.

He's not allergic to fish or iodine though... go figure.

I agree with the "go get allergy testing done" group. Really, getting skin testing done takes maybe a half hour tops. If my 5 year old drama queen daughter can handle it, any adult should.

Edited by MomOfLittleFoodies (log)

Cheryl