• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice cream/sorbet in a blender

paulraphael

I haven't tried making ice cream since I did it professionally over 10 years ago. Probably because I don't want another single-purpose gadget (and because I know how much ice cream I'd eat if I had one).

So I'm exploring options for making the ocasional batch (icluding liquid nitrogen). And I'm wondering about the possibility of using a blender. Partially freezing the ingredients, blending the bejeezus out of them, returning to the freezer to firm up, and maybe repeating once or twice. I've got a nice 1/2 gallon commercial blender that's in need of a project.

Has anyone tried this?

Notes from the underbelly

I haven't tried it, but it reminds me of the technique for making a granita. I think the problem would be that you're separating the freezing and aerating steps, which will tend to promote the formation of larger ice crystals. Then again, you may be able to bust up the larger ice crystals with the force of the blender... Try it out and let us know!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I've only made sorbet in a blender (pre-icecreammaker). It did come out acceptably smooth (I'm just glad it didn't turn into a block of ice), but I'm not sure if that's more of a function of the amount of sugar I put in (it was mango sorbet). I did blend it about 4 times every 2 or so hours just out of compulsion/fear.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Yep. Works fine for sorbet. I think less well for ice cream/gelato.

Basically, make a granita and then blend it.

Chill your sorbet base, place in wide shallow container in freezer. Fork every once in a while until it solidifies and you've got granita. Process granita in blender or food processor. Return to freezer.

I actually prefer the texture of sorbet made this way to the stuff from my ice cream maker.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA