• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] El Bolillo Panaderia

Jay Francis

They've been having some delays, but are trying to do their grand opening this Sunday. I had a nice conversation with Kirk recently about the place. If the opening happens, I'm going to be bringing him some mango marshmallows so if your timing is right.........

I had wandered in a couple of weeks back as the door was open and there were two artists adding pictures and graphics to the wall. I was able to make a contribution by noting an incorrectly placed 'accent mark' on caliente and to aid her in changing from the rolling pin she was going to paint for the lady rolling masa on a metate to the traditional grinding stone. The place is beautiful. They will have one of those flour tortilla machines like Spanish Flowers has and that means really delicious tortillas made fresh (as much as I respect and enjoy the bread at Central Market, those HEB flour tortillas they make are god-awful...for years, for parties, I've been picking mine up at Spanish Flowers).

Whoa! I've been working out of town for about 7 months.....and El Bolillo is currently closed? :sad:

I was going to order a birthday cake from them in a couple weeks....have been looking forward to it for months!

In the meanwhile, where should I go to satisfy the mexican bakery cravings I sometimes get?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the new el bollilo a couple weeks ago...it is a nice set up. Must say though, didn't love their fresh pressed corn tortillas...they dried out before I got them home..and just weren't anything special.