• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Sorbet

John DePaula

Hello All,

Does anyone have a recipe for Rice Sorbet? I'm going to a Sake Tasting party soon and want to bring something unusual to complement the sweeter ones.

Usually, I'm pretty good about finding recipes online but this one was eluded me.

Thanks!

P.S. Not looking for Rice Gelato or Rice Ice Cream.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I'm not sure how you got that to show up... I was able to get to the recipe for Rice Ice Cream on the following page, but it wouldn't allow me to view the recipe for Sorbet...

Anyway, I've tried to view it in a couple of browsers and the recipe has big chunks missing - as if it was a bad scan. Still, it's enough to go on. Thanks!

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

John, when you mean rice sorbet, do you mean you want sorbet with rice grains in it, or sorbet maid from rice milk?

I suppose the answer would be sorbet made from rice milk, but I want to make the rice milk myself rather than use the awful tasting stuff from a box.

John DePaula
--------------------

Oddly enough, I've been contemplating rice sorbet myself.

I started with horchata, which I haven't spun yet and might be too cinamonny to go with sake, but it tasted good and I think it may work for me as a starting point. I took 1 cup rice, 75 g cashews, soaked them overnight with 4-1/2 cups water, then blended, added 150 g sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, blended again and strained.

I'll be really interested in your progress.

The rice milk recipes I looked at all called for cooked rice, that would reduce the grit factor. I don't find a little grit unpleasant, depends on your vision. I'm thinking toasting the rice might add a nice flavor, think green teas with toasted rice. Hell, use Rice Krispies!

try looking for "rice milk sherbet recipes" instead of sorbet ...

I just did and there are a lot of them!

making rice milk is so easy that you are wise to do that instead of buying it

you can just make horchata and use ginger for the flavor instead of cinnamon for a Sake tasting that would be my first choice!

make a ginger rice milk sherbet add some minced candied ginger to it

please let us know

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

We used to burn the **** out of the rice in the pan, then pack it in a paco beaker with sorbet syrup and voila. You could do the same thing without toasting it. Just remember that with any other highly starchy base you won't need much stabilizer.

This made for a very clean and refreshing sorbet.

Rice Sorbet

Makes about 1.5L

850g Water

200g Sugar

58g Glucose (or corn syrup)

400g Cooked Rice (e.g. Lundberg Brown Basmati) that has optionally been cooked with ½ vanilla bean

60g 18% by vol. sake  (e.g. Momokawa Junmai Ginjo Nigori)

Heat water, sugar and glucose together until the sugar is dissolved.  Cool slightly and add the rice; pass through a blender or robo-coupe until thoroughly liquefied.  Add the sake and blend briefly to mix.  Chill rapidly using an ice bath, then cover and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to develop.

The next day, pass the mixture through a fine sieve or chinois, reserving the solids for another use.  I found the rice solids to be especially tasty, similar to Cream of Wheat.

Churn the rice liquid according to the instructions for your machine.  Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and freeze.  1 hour before service, transfer Rice Sorbet to a refrigerator; otherwise, it may be too difficult to scoop.

Note: I found this mixture to be sweet enough but if you wanted to make it sweeter, you could double the glucose, which could have a positive affect on texture.

Serving with a splash of more sake is quite nice.  A splash or St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur is even nicer…

John DePaula
--------------------