• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Pain Quotidien Toronto

canadian-eh

I was really hoping for a nice new place. The LPQ had such a great reputation and I ventured there yesterday for lunch.

Nice atmosphere. Lots of cheerful happy staff.

But and its a big "but" - average food at sky high prices.

Curried chicken salad open faced sandwich - of average quality and small quantity $11.75. That's only $8.75 in NYC based on my googling today.

But a six ounce bottle of Diet Coke $3.95. That's hotel minibar prices. Only $1.75 in NYC.

With the usual taxes and tip, that's over $20 for an unsatisfying lunch.

Like the Belgian financial guy says "save your money". Give this place a pass.

• 1 month later...

Not only that, but the price/quality ratio isn't there. I've been the one in NY and here.

$4 for a "Pain a l'Ancienne" that ain't really what it's supposed to be. Not sure who they are trying to fool. $4 for the smallest (and tasteless) Danish I've ever seen in my life.

Something got lost in the "Franchising". And to hear that they are planning to add another 2-3 in Toronto is dreadful news.

Yup, "save your money". btw- the guy from ING is Dutch not Belgian; i'm pretty sure.

Edited by Explorer (log)

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde