• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unknown Japaneese Sashimi Knife...Help?!

317indy

I bought this yesterday, and I love it as Im not a sushi chef, however at our establishment, we do lots of sashimi plate ups and Im the one that does them, so I was just wondering what kind of knife im working with. It wasnt expensive, and it has a great edge and look to it, and its super freaking sharp.

Picture034.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture035.jpg

230mm long

Edited by 317indy (log)

While I can't find a company site, this link has some information http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-JAPANESE-SUS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Your knife is SS and it does not say a laminate which is one of the manufacturing techniques and usually results in an easy to sharpen blade,

A fully forged knife is on the high end but not of SS. They are very expensive.

-Dick

THIS ebay item is your exact knife

It's not a great knife but used as a slicer of fish it should do a pretty decent job for quite a while. Don't take the description from the seller as accurate either. Most of them are not known to be very knowledgable...and Swordandgift is no exception.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Thanks guys, as I said its not a very expensive knife. It only cost me 29$, I was in this restaurant supply store and they had some Japaneese knives for sale and I bought the Sashimi knife. I have nothing but Wusthof in my roll otherwise. Thanks guys.