• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Contract Meat Processing Facilities in Montreal

Federal and Local food laws restrict the production of house manufactured meat products to the stores owned by the producer. Any meat product, such as charcuterie, sausages or prepared meals, that is to be sold through broad distribution must be produced in a certified licensed facility, that is HACCP certified. As such, any small producer looking to sell into a broad market legally must engage the services of a licensed facility, or build and certify one them selves.

I am looking for a production facility that can handle small production runs of approximately an initial run cycle of about 200kg. per weekly run, with the capacity to grow this to larger weekly volumes.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

That doesn't sound like very much. I would imagine that in a worst case scenario your stuff would be neglected in favour of the larger customers. It happens in a lot of industries where the littler guy gets squeezed out of his merchandise despite a contract.

I wish you the best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

You sir are correct. If it was my intention to only produce this quantity, then I would be doomed. However, it depends on who the market is. If I were to be going after the large chains, then this quantity is insanely small. However, my intention is to build sales in a very vertical market, and once I have established whether there is true market acceptance, then I would consider building the volume.

Remember, this project is for sport at this point in time. I am not considering making a living doing this. However, if the demand for the product is reasonable, then I will get more serious about the product.

I started producing these sausages as a concept, and the demand from my staff, friends and family, has been to market them. My current run of 10 kg at a time goes like water in the Sahara. I don't mind taking a swing at it. You know... nothing ventured, nothing gained....

That doesn't sound like very much. I would imagine that in a worst case scenario your stuff would be neglected in favour of the larger customers. It happens in a lot of industries where the littler guy gets squeezed out of his merchandise despite a contract.

I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.