• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Butcher Shop/USDA Prime meat in N. Jersey

I'm cooking dinner on Friday night and wanted to get some really good-quality beef but don't know where to go. I want USDA Prime aged beef. Does anyone know where I can go more locally than NYC, like in NJ (Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex Counties, etc?) I am off on Friday and would love to avoid having to drive in on my one day off!

Thanks!

Emily

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Garden of Eden in Hoboken (2nd and Washington) has Prime, Dry-Aged beef. Haven't actually purchased from there, so can't speak to the actual level of quality. Is on the pricey side (as you'd expect) $15-20 / lb depending on the cut if memory serves.

If you're near Rutherford, M&R Meats at 114 Park Ave. is one of those old-fashioned butcher shops with excellent beef.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've had different experiences with M&R meats. Unless you special order, you are likely to get frozen meat (which is what I got when I went in for shanks for Osso Bucco). I also got my corned beef from here for St Paddy's Day, and it was not as good as other years. Is it new owner?

I don't think they have aged beef, but Kochers in Ridgefield Park is probably THE go-to place for prime beef in NNJ. It is fairly priced as well, and the butchers are world class. You can read the thread here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=91554

I might be wrong, but $15-20 / lb for prime aged beef sounds very inexpensive ... last time I bought it was in Whole Foods in Alexandria VA and it was over $30.00 a pound.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I've had different experiences with M&R meats. Unless you special order, you are likely to get frozen meat (which is what I got when I went in for shanks for Osso Bucco). I also got my corned beef from here for St Paddy's Day, and it was not as good as other years. Is it new owner?

I don't shop there often because I don't often cook on a scale where it's warranted. Whenever I've gone in for a roast or some steaks, though, they've always been fresh & very good.

Middle-aged Irish fellow ran the place last time I was there, always pleasant to deal with. Now that I think on it, that was a year ago.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

The Butcher and the Farm at De Piero farms in Montvale always has Prime dry aged beef. Excellent stuff by experience. The place is worth a trip for the produce alone. Also a fresh seafood dept and Pickleicious is there too.

http://depieros.com/about-us.php

This place is the real "whole" foods.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Zeytinia in Oakland has aged beef ...they have a case right out there with the big cuts getting all gory right at the counter

good stuff

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Zeytinia in Oakland has aged beef ...they have a case right out there with the big cuts getting all gory right at the counter

good stuff

tracey

I've never heard of this place till now. I'm going to have to stop by on my way home Friday. Is it in the strip mall with the DMV?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

yup yup

they had quail last time I was there also

gallery_23695_426_373389.jpg

Mmmm ribeye

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Trace...nice call on the Zetinya. Good steaks, and an excellent selection of other foods. Since I was already running late, I picked up my meat and quickly perused the rest of the store. Next time I will spend some more time shopping...

Mmmmmmeat

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson