• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Juneau visit

we will be in Juneau the first week of June for my husband's birthday

I would like to come up with something special to surprise him

can anyone help me please?

thank you so much in advance

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Unfortunately Juneau is an unremarkable food town. The Baranof is the nicest table in town, esp since the steakhouse way up on the hill closed. You'd think there would be great halibut and salmon all over town, but, in my experience anyhow, the local restaurants, like many the world over tend to overcook the fish and wreck it. The Mexican rest across the street from Baranof brings in morita peppers from back home for their hot sauce.

There is a cafe across the bridge where the legislators hang out. Food is unexceptional diner, but it can be fun to watch the politicos doing deals. Cant remember the name, but with Juneau at your back it is on left from the bridge and you can see it right down near the water.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

well I am thinking that food will not be the center of our visit and that is ok ..thanks for your help Tamian and Dr Colby

any ideas for a good market to grab some snacks and a place for a lovely picnic maybe?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet