• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best lamb in town

maxmillan

I want to take my boyfriend to a restaurant for his birthday. I'd be willing to go to Richmond, Vancouver or Burnaby.

I've tried a few Greek restaurants but he's not into the "cheaper" cuts (leg of lamb.) So I would like some suggestions as to where they serve a good rack of lamb or lamb chops.

Also, I would like to steer clear of Greek style cooking (garlic, herbs, etc.) What he may like is a mustard encrusted rack of lamb or something else more creative, but tasty.

Can anyone suggest a reputable and romantic restaurant?

Hi,

I second Vij's Lamb Popsicles, I am drooling right now thinking about the lamb and the left over sauce to be mopped up by some naan. I also had excellent rack of lamb (lamb popsicles) at the Shore Club downtown.

Pastrychefwanttobe.

Its used to be top form to recommend Senhor Roosters for the lamb, but perhaps that boat has sailed ? Though I doubt anyone would've ever recommended it as a special meal.

I really enjoy the rack of lamb at a Greek place called Ouzeri on broadway, as I do at Gotham downtown. There used to be a great rack of lamb at Chartwell's, but apparently the Four Seasons has been renovated, and my old birthday haunt is no more.

PS: Unless you are over 70 and/or a soccer mom, I'd dissuade you from going to Trafalgar's -- if for nothing more than the fear of being completely out of place.

Le Crocodile's rack of lamb is a classic.

I agree, very nicely done with a lot of sauce, we always order the rack of lamb, very consistent, best lamb in town in my opinion. The other great dishes would be the tomato soup and duck liver pate (the very smooth kind), also very good.

Le Crocodile would be my first choice if you are looking for somewhere reputable and romantic. Excellent service at the restaurant as always.

My second choice of lamb would be at Vij's but then, no reservations.