• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday night dining in Liverpool?

. Went to Owens, total wank. Avoid at all costs. Why is it that somewhere as nice as Southport, with all the money swilling about, has no where of merit to go?? (This is the point where I get bombarded with "Oh you should have tried this really nice bistro on...."). Nevermind. If anyone does know of anywhere in and around Southport, let me know!! I did have a good weekend, next time, will do my best to get to that place in Oxton!!! Your free to leave now.

Regards

Oliver

PS Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Nope, there is nowhere in Southport, honest, I've tried everywhere thats supposed to be "good" and they aren't, full stop.

See my previous post

" Lunch Next Tuesday, Restaurant near (or in) Southport Needed"

(you'll have to search it as I'm not clever eniugh to link it in.

Take a picnic to the beach, or the pinewoods in Formby would be my advice.

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Nope, there is nowhere in Southport, honest, I've tried everywhere thats supposed to be "good" and they aren't, full stop.

See my previous post

" Lunch Next Tuesday, Restaurant near (or in) Southport Needed"

(you'll have to search it as I'm not clever eniugh to link it in.

Take a picnic to the beach, or the pinewoods in Formby would be my advice.

How does Marc Veritie's place fair? The Brasserie is it called?

Anyway, back to all things Liverpool - Was with my financial advisor last night who is based in the city and he said the new best place in town (or at least the suburbs) was a place in Allerton. I've forgotten the forgettable name (Sphere maybe?) but the chefs are ex Gidleigh Park and Carriageworks.

Be interested to get a second opinion on this.

Small world that it is the guy also has a place in Padstow (he's from down that neck of the woods originally) and he waxed lyrical about Basildog's place and Slacker's too. Naturally I set him straight that both were ne'er do well reprobates who spend much too much time loitering around disreputable websites when they should be in the kitchen or behind the counter.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

How does Marc Veritie's place fair? The Brasserie is it called?

Thats the one I was winging about on my other thread!!

Awful,awful.awful is all I can say.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Thanks Erica, I'm not alone!

We drove through Fromby and parked up, had a look around since it was a nice day and had a pot of tea in a place called The Gallery Restaurant and grill. It was quite smart inside, menu was pasta/pizza/grills things, not going to set world alight, but if you struggle in area again, check it out, its right in the middle of Formby. Went to the beach with the dogs as well, had it to ourselves, was ace! It is a bit of a desert around those parts.

There used to be a quite nice restaurant called Ariva in Formby - it lasted about 6 months. Shame.

Is the Left Bank Brasserie still going? That was always OK for a cheap dinner.

In Southport the best thing you can do is get some fish and chips - my favourite is the Swan. Ludicrously cheap too.

i am forced to spend a few days at the Adelphi hotel in liverpool a couple of times each year.

my advice would be :

1) don't go to liverpool unless you really have to.

2) if you have to go, take sandwiches

There is no where at all reliable in Liverpool itself . (I only wish Fraiche was in Liverpool, not Birkenhead.)

I once had a splendid meal in London Carriageworks , but that was 3 years ago. On 2 subsequent visits , the food was comically poor.

I usually look at the conference dinner provided at the Adelphi, decide i just can't bear it, head up to Hope St, look at every menu along it's length, decide that the emergency bottle of Bourbon and the Montecristo No 1 back in my hotel room is a better option , go back to the hotel and wait till morning when Ifill up with black pudding and fried eggs.

If I really need to eat in the evening I more often than not end up in the Everyman Theatre  eating something virtuous , like a lentil and tofu lasagne.

Liverpool really is that bad !

Gethin

Sorry - this just sounds a heavy bias against Liverpool stopping you from appreciating what is available. There may be a shortage of 3-starred restaurants to tempt you, but I'm sure there are plenty of serviceable eateries to choose from.

Gethin

Sorry - this just sounds a heavy bias against Liverpool stopping you from appreciating what is available. There may be a shortage of 3-starred restaurants to tempt you, but I'm sure there are plenty of serviceable eateries to choose from.

Gethin

Havng lived there, gone to school there and doing forced family vists every year,I 'm afrad have to agree wth Gethin.

My family however, would strongly disagree wth me. Thier favourite place however is caesars palace! www.caesarspalace.co.uk. They claim to be Britains largest family restaurant.

Perhaps when you're just visiting there is nowhere that stands out as a quality place to eat- Marc this DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!! (But we visit on a Sundau pm/Monday)!

no offense taken there is a big river protecting me from there but erica please dont tell me you eat at caesars palace? i thought you to be a cultured lady,

but dont forget come in for sunday dinner when your up its cheap as chips on sundays here

No I don't eat at Caesars, my family do (you know what they say about being able to pick yourfriends etc etc..)