• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday night dining in Liverpool?

Yo.

I am having a sunday night away in Liverpool, as you do, and I am after recommendations for somewhere to go for dinner. I was going to try Fraiche, as they were threatening to open on a sunday, but alas, they are not :sad:

So I am after somewhere good to go as its for my other halfs belated birthday!! I don't mind a good curry/chinese/thai. I know its a bit of a bad night to try and get a table anywhere, as everywhere shuts! Anyone know if the new Panoramic place opens on a sunday night??

OOORRRRRRR...... I am travelling south from Lancaster, so if there is anywhere I could stop for a decent lunch en route?

Thanks in advance peeps!!!!

Twenty five views to this thread and not one reply (till now). Telling...

Kike the other 24 viewees I'm struggling for options in Liverpool without rattling off the same old list of options.

Beside The Carriageworks and Hope St, you have the standard mid-market places (Piccolino, Malmaison, the slightly mental Room) which do a job without inspiring and beyond that I'm not sure what else.

Liverpool does have a clutch of rather slick bars though (many like Alma de Cuba are fantastic sceney spaces with good cocktail lists). Maybe play to the city's strengths - pick at token bar-food and get your real sustanence from some serious cocktails.

Get ones with fruit in if it makes you feel better...

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Yo.

I am having a sunday night away in Liverpool, as you do, and I am after recommendations for somewhere to go for dinner. I was going to try Fraiche, as they were threatening to open on a sunday, but alas, they are not  :sad:

So I am after somewhere good to go as its for my other halfs belated birthday!! I don't mind a good curry/chinese/thai. I know its a bit of a bad night to try and get a table anywhere, as everywhere shuts! Anyone know if the new Panoramic place opens on a sunday night??

OOORRRRRRR...... I am travelling south from Lancaster, so if there is anywhere I could stop for a decent lunch en route?

Thanks in advance peeps!!!!

we are starting sunday nights from 27th of april running our concepts menu but is it the 11th of may your after? when im not here

please dont eat at the bluecoats restaurant though damn rough

Sorry marc, yes the good people of Fraiche are opening Sundays, just not the onetime I am in the area. Always the way! I will endeavour to get down and eat your lovely looking and sounding food!

I saw the thread on Liverpool, and knew of some mentioned places, again not sure if they will be open. Got a cheap night away at Malmaison, have stayed before and ate there last time, but it was not spectacular. So my quest goes on, I might just wander round and see what I find, just thought if someone had a bit of local knowledge they could point me in the way of somewhere.

Spanks.

very active chinese restaurant scene in liverpool, a wander down chinatown might be worth it.

Really? Where?! I have always found the Chinatown pretty poor. More a street than a town, and certainly no restaurants of note. Been eating there on and off for fifteen years but I must admit my latter experiences have mainly been when a night out with my Scouse mates has ended with a 3am chow mein (never the best barometer of a restaurant's quality I admit)

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

I know of one excellent Chinese in Liverpool who's name escapes me, soon as I remember it I'll be back

Sounds interesting, I await your recommendation.

Other option is Sapporo Teppanyaki - I've been to the Manchester branch a couple of times and it's not bad. The teppanyaki is actually so-so but I thought the sushi pretty good (best I've had in Manchester/Liverpool). Unagi, flying fish roe etc all delicious.

Bapi and I once went to the Manchester restaurant for a mid-week lunch. Having chosen to follow sushi with teppanyaki we ended up sitting at one of the huge hotplate tables, in an otherwise empty restaurant, whilst an impressively skilled Japanese chef went through his full repertoire of party tricks, up to and including setting fire to the table top and catching an egg in his hat.

All very peculiar, though as mentioned the food was good.

Cheers

Thom

very active chinese restaurant scene in liverpool, a wander down chinatown might be worth it.

Really? Where?! I have always found the Chinatown pretty poor. More a street than a town, and certainly no restaurants of note. Been eating there on and off for fifteen years but I must admit my latter experiences have mainly been when a night out with my Scouse mates has ended with a 3am chow mein (never the best barometer of a restaurant's quality I admit)

Cheers

Thom

hence the vagueness of my response, it's been a while and i can't remember the names but will know them when i see them, helpful i know.

I've lived in the pool and worked with plenty of scousers and one thing they all have in common is they absolutely love chinese food and everyone i've worked with had never had an indian until they crossed to the right side of the pennines.

the last one i had of note was rather bizarrely near the pier head in what used to be i think a bernie inn, it's upstairs and overlooks the river, big place can't miss it. :laugh:

must be open pretty much all the time as i had lunch there begining at about 3.30pm.

hardens suggests yuet ben fwiw

you don't win friends with salad

I've lived in the pool and worked with plenty of scousers and one thing they all have in common is they absolutely love chinese food and everyone i've worked with had never had an indian until they crossed to the right side of the pennines.

I spent three years in Liverpool whilst at University there and regularly go back on business. I really like it as a city. Being a Mancunian, student, United supporter I found attending Alfie Lewis' kickboxing club in Toxteth character-building and it made me the man I am today...

You are absolutely right about Scousers and Chinese though, it is without doubt the default takeaway over there and curry was (is?) eaten much less frequently. My Scouse mates who have made their home down this end of the East Lancs Road are now curry converts and won't eat anything else (at 3am, after a club).

An interesting sociological discussion there - The culinary impact of Pakistani immigrants into the textile heartlands of Lancashire and West Yorkshire contrasted against the influence of the sea-faring Chinese immigrant communities of Liverpool (the oldest Chinatown in Europe no less).

Being a nerd of Northern culture I'm currently reading Liverpool 800 - Character, Culture, History which I heartily recommend as it's a fascinating read.

It is! Really.

Cheers

Thom

Went to Liverpool Panoramic for lunch today as it's my brothers b'day.

2418278817_45c0b1b76a_m.jpg2418278827_f3d30a93f1_m.jpg2418278841_7bbbdaa221_m.jpg

2419108488_6d374cfdb1_m.jpg2419108482_6bc2553767_m.jpg2418278833_0fc914ea77_m.jpg

2418278845_ee402ce6bd_m.jpg

2419108490_59fc9b639d.jpg2419108498_9ddb1f4a1d.jpg2419108496_1b39cb0073.jpg

2418300291_1a4cab469a.jpg2419108502_24ddb49ba3.jpg

2418300301_1f9682f1a3.jpg2418300309_0ac4c1d31d.jpg

Though it looks very nice, the people on the set course thought it was middling, taste wise.

I on the other hand didn't. Went ALC and though I enjoyed the pressed terrine starter, my main of 3 small 'dublin' bay prawn and pig ear, belly and trotter was the worst main I've had in along, long time. Ditto my tangerine and chocolate ganache.

Service was slow and confused, the communication between French service staff (are they supposed to make me think the food tastes better?) and clientele was evident in ear shot everywhere. The coffee we ordered didn't arrive so we asked for the bill and were given someone else's. When we got the correct bill, instructed them to take the whole service charge off, comprehension suddenly improved, we were repeatedly asked if we only meant half.

As a viewing platform it's a great destination Spanielking, but I wanted great food and a good experience for my brother. Should have gone to that man on the Wirral (but alas it wasn't my choice).

Edited by adey73 (log)

Thanks people.

Adey, I thought it would be style over substance, although the 'style' looks dead corporate to me. They could have made it a bit moer glam. I think Jan Moir said always avoid restaurants in towers!! But thanks for the report. People take note, never plan a night away on a sunday!!

Went to Liverpool Panoramic for lunch today as it's my brothers b'day.

[As a viewing platform it's a great destination Spanielking, but I wanted great food and a good experience for my brother. Should have gone to that man on the Wirral (but alas it wasn't my choice).

:shock:

Bloody Hell!!

Last time I went up the tower with my family we had chips and a plastic cup of tea!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy The Mayflower, never having heard of any of the others I'm in no position to comment on them, but I've eaten at The Mayflower every time I've been in Liverpool for years and it's never disappointed, and I can't think of anywhere in Liverpool I'd rather eat.

all the time i was in the pool the tower restaurant was shut, does it revolve too or was that just local folklore?

i forgot you were ex-pool as well thom, we really are the poster boys for that fine education establishment aren't we :laugh:

you don't win friends with salad

all the time i was in the pool the tower restaurant was shut, does it revolve too or was that just local folklore?

i

Beeing expool too I can confirm that it did go round, and I thought it did still!!

:biggrin:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

i

Beeing expool too I can confirm that it did go round, and I thought it did still!!

:biggrin:

i have seen a video of the restaurant tower in its prime in the early 70`s run as a destination restaurant with full tails and bow tie service,silver everywhere due to health and regulations it has become home to radio city in a stable position

It's like that, but smaller, less stylish, poorer service and view :biggrin:

So Erica, Gary and Thom voluntarily chose to live in Liverpool for three years!

My gums are aching just thinking about that prospect

....and I live in the other 'pool.

Edited by adey73 (log)

It's like that, but smaller, less stylish, poorer service and view  :biggrin:

So Erica, Gary and Thom voluntarily chose to live in Liverpool for three years!

My gums are aching just thinking about that prospect 

....and I live in the other 'pool.

Make that 18 for me :biggrin:

Anyone else remember the Post Office Tower in London?

It had a public revolving restaurant and cocktail lounge near the summit; the restaurant made a revolution every 22 minutes.

Butlin's Holidays Ltd :shock: provided the catering. Their lease expired in 1980 and the restaurant never reopened for security reasons.

i am forced to spend a few days at the Adelphi hotel in liverpool a couple of times each year.

my advice would be :

1) don't go to liverpool unless you really have to.

2) if you have to go, take sandwiches

There is no where at all reliable in Liverpool itself . (I only wish Fraiche was in Liverpool, not Birkenhead.)

I once had a splendid meal in London Carriageworks , but that was 3 years ago. On 2 subsequent visits , the food was comically poor.

I usually look at the conference dinner provided at the Adelphi, decide i just can't bear it, head up to Hope St, look at every menu along it's length, decide that the emergency bottle of Bourbon and the Montecristo No 1 back in my hotel room is a better option , go back to the hotel and wait till morning when Ifill up with black pudding and fried eggs.

If I really need to eat in the evening I more often than not end up in the Everyman Theatre eating something virtuous , like a lentil and tofu lasagne.

Liverpool really is that bad !

Gethin

Edited by gethin (log)