• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meltaway Center for Bonbons

pringle007

I was looking for a basic recipe for making a bon bon with a meltaway center. I understand I would replace my butter with something like coconut oil. Can anyone help me with this or spare a recipe for me try out?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I was looking for a basic recipe for making a bon bon with a meltaway center. I understand I would replace my butter with something like coconut oil. Can anyone help me with this or spare a recipe for me try out?

There are several recipes in the Greweling book.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I have made meltaways from Greweling book and also made some other variation from Cremini type of chocolate ( wich is an Italian type of chocolate , very cremy with mainly hazelnut paste ), anyway in those creamini I usually dont mesure , but I use will say 50% milk chocolate , 40% hazelnut paste ( or other nut butters ) and 10% of clarified butter, mix all together to cristallize the mass then layered into frame. The % isnt perfect because usually I do by my taste, but experimenting with this should give you a nice result.The coconut oil In those other meltaway, I am not necessary to happy with the final taste, I have bought an organic coconut oil that is taste strongly like coconut :laugh: and my meltaways were coconut meltaways :raz: , clarified butter is a good alternative.

Vanessa

i have a nice recipe for a caramel liquid center which has invertase in it. you fill it, then it hardens to fondantlike texture, within 10 days the invertase melts the filling completely liquid...

Is that what is meant by "meltaway"? I thought (based on the description in Greweling) that a meltaway was a firm texture that sort of dissolved quickly when you ate it, and that when using invertase you ended up with what was referred to as a "liquid center." Am I totally off-base here?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

i have a nice recipe for a caramel liquid center which has invertase in it. you fill it, then it hardens to fondantlike texture, within 10 days the invertase melts the filling completely liquid...

cheers

t.

Could you post the recipe?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I think we are talking about two different things here. One is the meltawyas type like the Greweling, with coconut oil etc to dip.The other is porbably a more fondant like that you fill up shells with.

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

cheers

t.

Could you post the recipe?

I'd love to see the recipe too.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?