• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The snack you just cannot put down

JimH

Pork Scratchings - a heart attack in a packet but so moreish.

OK, just what is Pork Scratchings? I've managed to figure out some of the snacks that I'm unfamiliar with but you've got me stumped. I was thinking cracklings but you listed that too. Pigs feet?

ok this is not ready to eat really but really I can sit and eat them until I am sick

roasted new potatoes cold out of the fridg with salt

cold prawns

I do that with Chinese take-out, leftovers never make it to the next day. Ditto with fresh pico de gallo I have to make twice as much as I really need.

ok this is not ready to eat really but really I can sit and eat them until I am sick

roasted new potatoes cold out of the fridg with salt

cold prawns

awwww hell...there ain't nothing that comes out of the refridge that can top cold pizza, especially for breakfast!

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

awwww hell...there ain't nothing that comes out of the refridge that can top cold pizza, especially for breakfast!

And according to that Home Ec video from 7th or 8th grade, it makes a balanced breakfast too! :wink:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I don't know if this qualifies as a snack, but it's a snack to me, so...

The other night I made homemade sausage rolls, intending to bake them off, then save them for snacks at work.  Fresh out of the oven they smelled soooooo good, I just had to have one...two...three...

I did manage to save 6 for the next day, but they were gone by the time I left for work (7am)!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Thanks, Rona, I really needed a laugh today.

(Last week, I intentionally made some extra food in order to share with an elderly bachelor friend who doesn't cook much. But unfortunately by the time I got around to make the delivery, all of the containers were empty. This is an ongoing problem in our house . . . . )

• 6 years later...

The cookies that I can't have in my cupboard (lest I eat them all at once) are Biscoff.  I think they're my favorite ever!

Interesting. I don't like the Biscoff cookies, but I make a shortbread type of cookie using Biscoff spread that is one of my favorite cookies.

I've never been a big fan of Oreos, I find the cookie to be flavorless and I'm not crazy about the filling. (There really is no accounting for tastes.) I like the Trader Joe's knockoffs better.

I think the original Oreos were made with beef suet, not lard.

But the unfortunate truth is that whatever packet of cookies happens to be in my cabinet, I will polish them off just like that, even if I don't think they're particularly great. :raz:

• Like 1

Crystallized ginger!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh yes. Worst thing I ever did was working out how to make it.

Yeah. I thought about trying. I believe Andie gave us a recipe. But I have to consider the consequences of being able to make it. And when Kerry Beal makes it and dips it in dark chocolate -- oy vey. Better I stick to buying it from Trader Joe's which I only visit every few months.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Yeah. I thought about trying. I believe Andie gave us a recipe. But I have to consider the consequences of being able to make it. And when Kerry Beal makes it and dips it in dark chocolate -- oy vey. Better I stick to buying it from Trader Joe's which I only visit every few months.

You lot are leading me down a bad, bad path. What makes it worse is that last night, for the very first time, I tasted a deep-fried Snickers Bar. Oh, my. :wub:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pistachios. Most other kinds of nuts if they're floating around. Some kinds of chips can be a problem: a good salt and vinegar chip, Kettle's chilli-flavoured offering, a good deal of the Red Rock range (Red Rock being a local response, I guess, to Kettle). Good olives. Cured pork goods.

Also, for serious, did I just read that you can top icecream with Cheetos? I don't even know how to respond to that. The horror, the horror.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Gingersnaps, when I could still eat them.  :smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Been making spiced candied pecans that once I start it's hard to stop [emoji45]

Refuse to make them anymore.

My 2004 eG Blog

Been making spiced candied pecans that once I start it's hard to stop [emoji45]

Me too. Sometimes chipotle, sometimes allspice,always nicely sweet and salty.

Im a bit surprised i have not mentioned this:

Corn Chips.  Fritos is the gold standard.

however Tj's has now 'organic' corn chips.  big ones  for dipping.

im not too much enamored by 'organic'  but TJ;s are cheaper

as good at Fritos.

id love them a lot more if they had 1/2 the salt.

gobble gobble anyway.

Corn Chips.  Fritos is the gold standard.

however Tj's has now 'organic' corn chips. [...]

as good at Fritos.

id love them a lot more if they had 1/2 the salt.

gobble gobble anyway.

Eat half as much ... <shrug>

... Shel

Has anyone had those new Popcorners chips? I cannot stop eating the sea salt ones -- once the bag is open, I basically eat them at a one-every-three-seconds rate until the bag is done... 

• Like 1

Popcorn, Indiana Dark Fudge Chocolate Chip Kettlecorn. Unfortunately, (or fortunately :), I can't find it anymore.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/660545-popcorn-indiana-dark-fudge-chocolate-chip-kettlecorn.html#.U4zffSjedwt

Edited by merstar (log)
  • Like 1
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.